Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #31

Re: Cat Flap Designs

I dont know if I can keep them out all day, but if it works, then maybe I will have to.

Just phoned the owner. He was apologetic but said there is nothing he can do. He suggested not letting my cats graze on food all day so his cat does not see it as an easy target if no food is available. He says to lock my cat flap too of a night (which is not practical as Chloe needs to get out as she wont use the litter tray). He also stated that my catflap must be faulty as his cat has no magnet so he shouldnt be able to get in.

Missed my point completely but what else really can he say? He did say that he is neutered, but I explained that does not stop him spraying around my house

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #32

Sorry, but what?? Not to leave food down for YOUR cats, in YOUR house!!! Strange man!! I can only suggest that you phone staywell if you can then Donna, and se if they have a solution.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #33

I'm not quite sure how I would handle this situation tbh Donna It certainly is a tough one!

Catsey Veteran

09-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #34

Well I just dont know what to do.

Have fed them both tonight and taken the bowls up again when they finished. They dont eat much in one go and go back and forth to the bowls usually. Now they will have to learn to eat it all at once.

I am going to try and get Chloe to go outside as late as I can in the evening to do her business so hopefully that wont cause her to have an accident in the night if I lock the flap. I can let her out at 7am when I get up each morning.

I havent seen the cat at all this evening so he may be a bit scared to come in at the moment.

I still dont know whether to go down the "put them outside all day" route just to get them used to not coming and going.

I also dont know whether to do the same as last night and see if the cat comes in again. That way I will know whether he has been scared off for a bit at least.

I have also emailed Staywell to see if they can suggest a more robust catflap.

The owner of the cat just seemed to keep saying there must be a fault with your catflap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #35

I wouldn't shut my cats out in this weather. Maybe start it when the weather is good?

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #36

Well I thought he had been scared off but he was back in the house again this morning.

I am now giving my cats breakfast and then removing their bowls instantly (whether they have eaten or not) and then doing the same for dinner. Hopefully once he realises I am not a drop in centre for greedy cats he might not bother himself.

Will be locking the cats out more if I can too so that Chloe has access to the outside to do her business.

Other than terrifying the cat so that he daren't ever come back I dont think I can do much else.