Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #1

Someone reassure me

I did the right thing taking on an older rescue cat It just seems that every day there is another issue to deal with or another worry!

Pousse is very cute but I believed her to be in completely good health if a little skinny and I am worrying I'm going to mess up somehow sorry a little wibble as I've realised how much cat feeding and care has changed in the short time I've been catless

I'm not daft am I taking her on am I?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

Re: Someone reassure me

No Soupie - it;s just that when you're in the middle of a situation it's difficult to imagine being out of it.
Given time Pousse is more than likely to come round and give you back all the love and care you are giving her at the mo.
Good luck - don't stress - one day at a time (and if today is bad look forward to tomorrow, which may be better)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #3

((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
06-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

Soupie, believe me I know how stressful things can be when they aer not going as you expect. PM me if you feel the need to! ((hugs)) and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #5

Soupie - have you tried the two 'pheremone tricks'? This is to produce an enviroment which Pousse will regard as familiar and friendly.
First, and simplest, is to take a clean cloth, like a hankie or similar, and rub it gently but firmly and thoroughly on the area upward between her eyes and her ears - her eyebrow region, if you like. The take the hankie with all the 'Pousse property' scents on it and rub it round your walls at cat-nose height and particularly on door frames and external corners.
On a similar theme, you could get a feliway plug-in diffuser, to fill your house with cat-positive scents (undetectable by you or other humans)
Both these could/should help her chill out and feel at home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #6

Integrating an older cat can often take much more time than integrating a young kitten. Hopefully, things will get easier as time goes on as she learns to trust you and adapts to her new life. I was going to suggest a Feliway plug in too. It's worth a go! {{{Hugs to you}}}

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #7

I used to have a feliway for one of my previous rescues which I took in to rehome out again but it went with him - are they still only available from vets? if so I can get one on Friday.

I may struggle to do the wall wiping as I'm very tottery on my pins and struggle to bend to that height but can try it in stages.

In some ways she seems very settled but in other ways she is not in the condition I would like her to be if she had been mine from the start in terms of health and fitness. I'm considering getting some bloods done at the vets too to make sure we have covered all bases - what do you think?

She was curled up under my duvet in the warm patch this morning when I left and I'm afraid I spoiled her and gave her some of her Whiskers Temptations salmon bits cos she looked so cute.

Whenever I give her a treat she looks like she doesn't know what to do with it

I'm just feeling a bit out of my depth but ever so glad someone pointed me in the direction of this board - you are all being very helpful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #8

I think paitence is the key hear just think of Pousse could post herself she would possibly be on here posting something similar......wanting very much to fit in but struggling to understand she is there for keeps. I think you will both get on well and live a long and happy life together, Karen

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
06-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #9

I agree with Kazz. She's had so much upheaval recently, she's probably not sure whats going on, and whether she can relax yet. She might well be thinking she's going to be uprooted again. Think she just needs a bit more time to adjust.

I'm sure she'll settle down soon Soupie, so try not to worry too much!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
06-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #10

I have taken on a couple of older cats and although they can be hard work, I think the rewards are worth it given time. Older cats are usually easier than kittens who are into everything! A nice warm bed, good quality food and some cuddles should be all she needs!

You can buy feliway spray and diffuser at on line pharmacies such as vetmedic, in fact all medication can be brought here, usually a good deal cheaper. If a pet is on long term meds you are entitled to ask your vet for a prescription which is free of charge now and send it to the pharmacy.
www.vet-medic.com/