Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
24-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Cats Protection Volunteer of the Year 2010

It's that time again!

If anyone does not know much about this, it is a chance to nominate your local Volunteer for the award! It has slightly changed this year from last year, as there are different categories, so instead you may find that someone you nominated previously may fit a different category.

All short listed volunteers will go to a regional tea party style event, and all regional winners will go to the HQ for an ceremony.

So if you know a volunteer that deserves a mention, then go for it. Even if they do not win, it is a tremendously proud moment to be short listed and get the magical letter through the post! I know this, because last year I was shortlisted for the Award. I did not win my category but still getting there (and seeing HQ!) was extremely well worth it.

For more information see here:-

http://www.cats.org.uk/get-involved/...teeroftheyear/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

Re: Cats Protection Volunteer of the Year 2010

Thanks for posting that! It's great to see people recognized for their good work.

Catsey Junior

24-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #3

Thanks. This is the third year it has been running, though.

Last year it had 150 entrants and there were 14 people shortlisted (over 5 categories). I dont have the figures for the number of entrants for the 08 competition because it's not written anywhere:I got last years figures because it is what I was told (once it was announced to everyone, the second time I was told by a judge) during the last year's AGM.

So that gives you some idea on how popular the awards were and how hard the judges have to work to short list people!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #4

Thanks for letting us know about the awards pcspik - IMO it should be published more widely. I am sure CP volunteers work very hard and it's nice that they should be thanked. Just deserves a wider audience really.

Catsey Junior

30-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #5

Yes, though this is the third year that they have been running it. Some nominees got into their local newspapers, some did not. In reality, it depended on how active your branch was in promoting it.

Also, everyone who attended the ceremony got into the The Cat Magazine (the 09 Winter edition), regardless if you won or not. I managed to get a copy (unfortunately they did not send a copy to the winners/nominees) which I will keep forever, along with the goody bag I received.

If anyone wants to know more about what it feels like to be shortlisted, feel free to pm me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
30-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #6

Were you shortlisted then? Well done! Please do tell more.

We have a couple of extremely long-standing and active volunteers in our branch who could do with recognition (not me, I hasten to add - would love to contribute more but not enough hours in the day), so I will look at your link in more detail in the next few days.

Catsey Junior

08-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Were you shortlisted then? Well done! Please do tell more.
Well I dont know where to start.

Someone nominated me, and all nominations go through a judging panel. They then whittle it down to so many per category (I was in the Extra Mile which does not exist any more: and there were 4 short listed in the category including myself in that one), and write them a letter.

The letter basically asked to confirm that I was attending or not & if so, the name of my guest (you were allowed to bring a guest, though I got away with two). I replied, and about a week later, received another pack, with an entry ticket, questionnaire, details of where I was staying, an mileage form (as they paid for mileage). All in all there was about 7 pieces of paper. I had to fill in the questionnaire and send a photograph within the next two (?) weeks - the date was explained in the letter. Prior to the event taking place, I was contacted by someone from their press office (via email!), who enclosed a draft copy of their press release about me. Apart from one sentence, it was ok, and a week later it appeared on the main website under the news section. I also got a page on our local branch's website.

Like I said previously, they paid for mileage (or whatever travel method you used - someone from Scotland went on an overnight bus & caught an taxi to the pub),the cost of pub acccomodation for the night, the meal (but not the alcohol!) at the pub's restaurant the night before. They ordered taxis from the pub to HQ, but been as we [me and my guests] had a long drive back from the hotel, we decided it was better for us, to take the car and park at HQ.

Once there, we had to register (bringing our ticket!) in the huge marquee that was set up. I was in a different line to the others because of the award: I also received a goody bag. The bag was a fabric one (similar to the ones that they sell, but black and had a message about volunteering) and included a Thorntons Chocolate Cat (at first I thought it was an Easter Egg!), shortbread cat shaped biscuits, a 2010 diary,a 2010 calendar, a cat themed bookmark and of course, a copy of the 2008 review. I have a feeling that I have left something out. The marquee was massive: the middle room was the registration room (and the smallest!), the left room was full of tables and chairs, where initally people had tea and danish pastries. There was also the two event vans (the older one that used to be set up to do spaying, with an operating table and several pens and also the newer one which is more a converted van and contains more information for roadshows etc) just outside the marquee.The registration area had a small display of the nominees: it contained the answers to the questionnaire, plus our photograph, what branch we had come from & the category we were nominated for. There was also a smaller marquee outside, in case you wanted advice, such as the legal department, BSU (Branch Support Unit), the section that deals with wills/legacies, Veterinary etc. There was also display of "Paws for Charity" (where famous people donate drawings of their own hands and decorate the picture) before it went on ebay a couple of months later. A couple of months before, our branch had been on the local news (I was there for filming, but all of us hid behind the camera!) so they had that, along with other videos that other branches had done on a loop too.

Once the coffee/registration process was over, then everyone went into the right hand room of the marquee, which was full of chairs, the stage, an screen. The chairs they had obviously skimped on: they were incredibly uncomfortable after 20 years and one of the worst chairs I have had the fortune to sit on. The first two rows were reserved for the Volunteer of the Year Awards people & guests, anyone else could sit anywhere. The stage had two tables and a reading desk/microphone for whoever was speaking. The people who sat on the stage were the trustees, and Peter Hepburn. Various boring stuff was read out for about the first two hours, of which I remember nothing about (combined with it being boring & a very hot day made a lot of people switch off). Then we were asked (all the volunteer of the year shortlisted people plus members of the Cats Protection) to vote who should stand on the committee, having sometime previously during the actual AGM been given voting papers (I was at the end of the row, and someone tapped me on the shoulder; told me to take a voting paper, and pass one on). A pen was also provided. After that, Sheryn (the overall winner of the 2008 Volunteer of the Year) read out a short speech, during which she said first of all the category: then the names of the nominees: and finally who won. Repeated it 5 times. Once you were announced the winner, you got up, got presented with a certificate and something else in a box - I didnt get a chance to look at (which I thought was unfair - I think that everyone should have had a certificate regardless of whether you won).
Then after that, we were told to have lunch, but those with voting papers to post them in the box before leaving. Both nominees and winners had to stay behind because of the fact that our photographs had to be taken - like I said on a previous post I am in (group photo) the Volunteer of the Year Award article in 2009 Winter Edition of The Cat (the Cats Protection Magazine). Then we were free to have lunch.

Had lunch, which was a buffet style dinner, with people actually serving you. Drinks were provided (no alcohol!) too.

Once we had finished lunch, we all retook our seats to listen to someone from Marwell Zoo, who had usefully provided us with two leaflets. Unfortunately, the combination of him having a very boring voice, the extremely hot weather (everyone was sweltering) and most of the subject not being about cats (he went on about their stately home place for 20 mins, then another 20 mins about antelope), so everyone (including myself!) was using the leaflets as an effort to keep awake, though some people did fall asleep (Peter Hepburn did!). Out of a 90 min talk, only 10 mins were of cats.

Then once he had finished, then everyone went around to HQ to look at their set up (admission area, kitten wing etc) and a talk by the managers of a particular section about how they work (originally it was supposed to be split into 3 group, with the other two having more coffee & biscuits in the marquee, but due to running late they bundled everyone into a big group.) Nobody could see much because it was like a January sale initially, but those of them had taxis booked only saw half of it. Like I said, fortunately before we had taken our own car to the AGM, so I was able to look at the homing area, which only about half a dozen people out of the original group saw. Then once we had finished looking around, we (me and my two guests) started our journey home, making a note of the mileage.

As for the mileage, we filled it in the next week and sent it off. I think it took a month for them to reimburse the cost: I am not too sure, because it went into my guests bank account (as it was their car and they were doing the driving!) and not mine.

I think that is about it: a picture of myself and the answers to the questionnaire are on CatNav under the Volunteering section. Obviously I am not going to put my real name on the public forum, so lmk (via PM!) if you do want to see it. If anyone has any specific questions, post here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #8

Well done pcspik - many congratulations.

It was great that peoples' volunteering is recognised, but the day itself sounded to me a bit like an ordeal!

Catsey Junior

08-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It was great that peoples' volunteering is recognised, but the day itself sounded to me a bit like an ordeal!

I think that is why they are changing it this year it's regional style tea party style events rather than everyone being grouped down to the AGM. Some of the nominees (and one winner) weren't able to come, which I think distance is part of it. Quite a few people I noticed where from Scotland which is an major journey. I know I was travelling for about 5 hours, whereas they think this year it is too much (I dont know whether they are going to select a particular adoption centre or take over a conference room at a suitably located hotel to host the ceremony) for some people. Hence the overhaul, so that they can make more time to document people's achievements. They [the judges] also did not explain why someone was short listed or how many where short listed, (I only know because I managed to speak to a judge during the lunch break) which is important. In fact, the reading of the nominations, taking photographs of people receiving their awards as they were announced from Sheryn took only about 30 mins, whereas the tea party style events, I think are going to be harping on about great the volunteers are. Also I have a feeling they are going to move the AGM into earlier on the year, which would mean that there would not be enough time to short list, judge, and organise people (getting them to the NCC etc).

But yes, it was tiring for some people (and the weather being boiling did not help), though personally I enjoyed every minute, especially the tour around the grounds/adoption centre, as the sheer size and layout is considerably bigger than our branch's. The only complaint I have about that weekend is the rude manager of the hotel!

If anyone is shortlisted, it would be great if they could post here and how (apart from the categories) it differs. Btw last year's (and the year's before) categories were:-

Bright Ideas Award
This award is for those volunteers who have developed original and exciting ways of solving problems, addressing challenges and helping the charity to achieve its objectives.

Flying the Flag Award
This award is for those volunteers who have made a significant contribution to raising awareness of Cats Protection and its aims and values.

Unsung Hero Award
This award specifically recognises those volunteers who often play a vital role behind the scenes and while they may have no ‘official' role, their input is crucial to Cats Protection's success.

Extra Mile Award
This award is for those volunteers who are noted for their enthusiasm and dedication and who are known for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Trustees' Distinguished Service Award
This award is for those volunteers that have shown an incredible level of commitment, sometimes over many years

This year, only the Unsung Hero and the Trustees Award categories are the only ones returning: the other 5 are completely brand new.