Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies!
17-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #21

Re: Sorry- I cant help you! (Rescue)

Fingers crossed Dawn, I had sent a message to a friend of mine thats involved in cat rescue, but she never got back to me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
17-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #22

Thanks for trying.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
17-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #23

These guys were helpful when I found a cat a couple of years ago.

www.cramarcats.org.uk

The only thing I felt was that the rescue's knew that having gone to the trouble of catching them etc that you are unlikely to turf them back out again!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
17-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #24

Again sorry for being contravertial, But why do the animal sanctuarys have to take the rap for this, Surely the blame lies ultimatly with pet owners. Its all to easy to buy an animal and as soon as its no longer wanted nip to the local resue shelter and dispose of it, job done. Also if you take in a cat of that age and condition who could be there for the duration, how many 'homeable' cats with many more years ahead of them will be destroyed?
Has the vet quoted how much its going to cost to find out why its in its current condition?

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick
Again sorry for being contravertial, But why do the animal sanctuarys have to take the rap for this, Surely the blame lies ultimatly with pet owners. Its all to easy to buy an animal and as soon as its no longer wanted nip to the local resue shelter and dispose of it, job done. Also if you take in a cat of that age and condition who could be there for the duration, how many 'homeable' cats with many more years ahead of them will be destroyed?
Has the vet quoted how much its going to cost to find out why its in its current condition?
Take the rap? Are you serious, this Cat was turned away from 2 rescues because she was OLD! Why do you think thats acceptable? Are you saying that its ok to dump the young Cats because the rescues will take them in, but the oldies who have given their lives to their so called owners must die or not be rescued because they dared to get old?

You also "assume" a lot dont you, the Cat is perfectly healthy apart from a couple of broken and dirty teeth, treatment paid for by US, and has also been wormed and had spot on for fleas etc, also sorted by us, not you or ANY rescue, Ill await your apology for assuming otherwise. Bloods and treatment was at our cost not yours or anyone elses, our ONLY issue was her remaining in our isolation when the kennels will be full, we cannot do that. Hopefully, you will now see the error of your incorrect and rude judgemnet of people who took a cat in that desperately needed help. You dont by any chance help "caring" cat rescue do you? They were the ones that said if I had rang them BEFORE I caught her they would have said dont!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #26

Any animal being dumped is the owners fault not any rescue. I have taken in mostly old cats but because of this I can't afford to take in any more- luckily the old cat is fairly healthy just now, but it could well have had hyperthyroidism, renal failure etc, and that does cost a lot- and it is likely to develop one of these issues- I know because I've been there numerous times.
I guess that many rescues, who rely on rehoming, have to be aware that if they take in an old animal is will take time and money and fill up a space ( often long term) that younger animals can fill.

The man who shears our sheep always asks why don't we take in young animals and give them a good life from the start- I can understand what he means, but for me it is the older animals who are pets that are no longer wanted that need a home. That is why we have become a sanctuary rather than and rehoming centre but it is more limiting.

I also, know for a fact, that Trick has been instrumental in saving quite a few old animals in her time too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #27

Dawn, I can understand Trick's point to a certain extent - that cat owners need to think long and hard before taking on an animal - there are financial and emotion costs involved and I genuinely think many don't consider all the 'bad' points of pet ownership.

We're close to £1000 vet bills with Fifi over her leg tumour. I'm literally robbing peter to pay paul at the moment as funds have been dwindling over the last year quite dramatically. BUT my cats are my responsibility and I will beg and borrow (but not steal) to make sure they are OK. There are others who don't have the same commitment and will dump a cat at a rescue as soon as look at it. I think that is Trick's point.

The rescues are then faced with a genuine dilemma. Do they take in cats who DO have a chance of a new home, or take on a cat where they know they will have to long-term foster and then that foster space is potentially used up meaning a cat that CAN be easily rehomed is denied a place.

I'm not certain I've interpreted Trick's answer correctly, but as I see it, there is no easy answer . . . in theory all cats deserve a good, loving and caring home. In reality sometimes it is a lottery - for all of us, and not just the poor cats . . . and nobody wins

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
17-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Take the rap? Are you serious, this Cat was turned away from 2 rescues because she was OLD! Why do you think thats acceptable? Are you saying that its ok to dump the young Cats because the rescues will take them in, but the oldies who have given their lives to their so called owners must die or not be rescued because they dared to get old?

You also "assume" a lot dont you, the Cat is perfectly healthy apart from a couple of broken and dirty teeth, treatment paid for by US, and has also been wormed and had spot on for fleas etc, also sorted by us, not you or ANY rescue, Ill await your apology for assuming otherwise. Bloods and treatment was at our cost not yours or anyone elses, our ONLY issue was her remaining in our isolation when the kennels will be full, we cannot do that. Hopefully, you will now see the error of your incorrect and rude judgemnet of people who took a cat in that desperately needed help. You dont by any chance help "caring" cat rescue do you? They were the ones that said if I had rang them BEFORE I caught her they would have said dont!!!!
I assumed nothing nor did I rudely jugde you, I just have a different veiw than you!

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick
I assumed nothing nor did I rudely jugde you, I just have a different veiw than you!
Yes you do, and its a shocking one for somebody who would at first glance appear to care for Cats. How you can assume so much and condone the not helping of an animal because of its age, in all honesty disgusts me.

You assumed the Cat hadnt been treated, you assumed wrong didnt you? You also assumed that I was expecting rescue to foot the bill, you assumed wrong again, thats twice for starters.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Yes you do, and its a shocking one for somebody who would at first glance appear to care for Cats. How you can assume so much and condone the not helping of an animal because of its age, in all honesty disgusts me.

You assumed the Cat hadnt been treated, you assumed wrong didnt you? You also assumed that I was expecting rescue to foot the bill, you assumed wrong again, thats twice for starters.

I dont think that's what Trick was saying at all Dawn. The way I read it was as Yola and Farthing did. She wasnt assuming that you were expecting the rescue to foot the bill but that people do dump old and aging animals due to cost of treatments etc.
I think it's very sad that rescues havent' been able to help or have come across as unhelpful. I would feel angry too if I found a cat and was turned away by rescue in what sounded like an unsympathetic way, I think their choice of words could have been better but the facts remain that rescues are full and having difficulty rehoming what they already have.
Is there any news on a possible new home for her at all? Have you tried posting her on some of the rescue/rehoming forums? There may be some one there that can help her.