Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
15-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #11

Re: Sorry- I cant help you! (Rescue)

We also througha scheme at OH's work get an hourly rate for fostering but no we still aren't good enough - our old CP branch got nearly £800.00 a year from that alone when we fostered!

Our old CP branch also get £2000 from the same scheme in the way of us friving 300 miles in one day and taking the Clan Dogs Sky and Sunny on a little 6 mile walk - a bit sad for us this year as our darling Jazz had completed the previous 9 but sadly passed at Christmas 2009 so her boys will be doing their second and first respevtively - Oh also changed his flights and rebooked some meeting as I goot the day wrong!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #12

My biggest gripe is that a couple of them said its because she was old, how bloody cruel of them. its looking like she will have to be PTS, I see no other option and we are pushing it keeping her at all. Just feel so disheartened that rescue would turn her away, Id of never turned an elderly dog away in all the years I did rescue, I felt they are as important as the next dog and just as deserving.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies!
16-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #13

ohh this is disgusting Dawn, shame on them..Just because she is old doesnt mean she shouldnt enjoy the rest of the life she has! where abouts in the UK are you?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #14

If it's simply because she is old then they should be ashamed! I've never heard of such a thing. In my pen at the moment I have Mr Babs, who is between 10 and 12. A lovely, affectionate lad, and perfect for someone a bit older who doesn't want the fuss of a kitten. I really hope you find somewhere for this puss x

Catsey Veteran

16-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-Cat
ohh this is disgusting Dawn, shame on them..Just because she is old doesnt mean she shouldnt enjoy the rest of the life she has! where abouts in the UK are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
If it's simply because she is old then they should be ashamed! I've never heard of such a thing. In my pen at the moment I have Mr Babs, who is between 10 and 12. A lovely, affectionate lad, and perfect for someone a bit older who doesn't want the fuss of a kitten. I really hope you find somewhere for this puss x
It IS disgusting.

A couple said they were full, but one distinctly said as soon as I mentioned elderly there was no chance! (one other said wouldnt take old cat too) He said they only take Cats in that can achieve a quick turnaround, he should be ashamed of himself. "Caring Cat Rescue" yeah, more like UNcaring!

Im in the West Mids.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #16

It is sad but true that many rescues don't want to take on old cats- that is why so many of ours are oldies, nobody else would take them, personally I prefer them because they have so much character- but do cost more in vet bills.

It sounds like this old girl needs blood tests to check her organ function and thyroid levels, and to be honest if a rescue isn't willing to pay the money to do that kind of thing she is better not to go there. Have you tried looking for sanctuaries, you may find that they are more willing to take in 'special needs' animals and are hopefully more up to speed dealing with an animal that needs special care.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Ragdoll,Birman,moggy+foster cats
16-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #17

Its all because the RSPCA have closed their doors to hand ins that smaller rescues are now being asked to take on far more than they usually would.
I run a rescue site called Animallifelineuk we help rescues with various things such as Fostering,Home checking,Transport,Re homing,Fund raising etc
its all very much getting rescues to work together some maybe able to help with a home check but need help with transport that another rescue can do more easily.
We also help the dogs in the pound that have served their 7 days and are due to be put to sleep to find rescue placements.
We help people that need to re home their beloved pets to find rescue placements to prevent them from getting into the wrong hands, so if you pm me the details of this cat and where you are, I see if any of the rescues on our site will take this cat on.We have had quite a few oldies lately that I thought would never find a placement that have.

Rescues are struggling all over the UK but a few won't work together to help solve this situation, We have over 2000 member's that want to help whether that be rescues or people that have the experience to home check etc and have only been running for just over a year now.

I feel that things are only going to get worse and if more rescues don't pull together then sadly more rescues are going to close which in turn will make this situation far worse

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
16-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #18

Sadly most rescues are crammed full and can't fit so much as one kitten more in

All because the RSPCA say they won't take in abandoned pets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
16-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #19

That is so sad Dawn, I do hope you can find someone to help and that she won't be pts.

Catsey Veteran

17-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #20

We may possibly have found someone! What sounds like a lovely lady is coming to see her on Saturday morning. Fingers crossed.