Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
15-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #1

Sorry- I cant help you! (Rescue)

Never have I known such a bad attitude to rescue Cats as I have encountered over the last couple of days.

A few days ago, at work my boss noticed a very thin Cat hanging round, absolutely terrified, but apparently "feral" as she took off any time you tried to approach. We had awful storms here on Sunday, she got saturated and clearly suffered for it. Yesterday morning I managed to catch her. She is elderly, very thin and was exhausted. She is VERY friendly, not feral at all and would appear to have been a pet at some time. She ate her food like a ravenous thing, curled up in her heated bed we gave her and settled down for a well earned rest in our isolation.

Obviously we cannot keep her, but do you think that anyone will help? No chance, Ive never been so disheartened with rescue, Im so pleased when I did it, I never treated the dogs that needed help in the same way.

Walsall CP - Wont help, said full.
Mids Animal rescue- Wont help, said full and elderly!
Caring aninal rescue- No way she is OLD, wouldnt take her because they only take Cats for a quick turnaround, and they call themselves "caring" how awful of them.
Brownhills CP- No foster homes.

So, this poor Cat is on borrowed time, she cannot stay with us, yet all the "rescues" will not help, what a shambles.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

Re: Sorry- I cant help you! (Rescue)

Dawn, that is such a crying shame. However - as you probably realise, every shelter is stuffed full, especially with long-term fosters who don't have much chance of finding a permanent home (we at Reading CP call them Velcro Cats; they stick around ).

What about suggesting to the local rescues that you find - or help find - a long-term fosterer and the said charity, or group of, foot any vet bills that might occur? This is highly likely with an older, neglected cat. Cat gets a new permanent/semi-permanent home and costs are reduced all around.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #3

That's appalling, Dawn! Good suggestion from Yola.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #4

Very sad and disheartening, I really hope some one can help her very soon xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

Poor girl, how sad I hope you manage to find somewhere for her x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #6

Poor girl, hoping someone will help her soon...she deserves a chance.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #7

very sad but as Yola said, most of the rescues are stuffed just now, mostly with pregnant cats and kittens, which are the priority at this time of year. In our branch we can't take any cats in at all, as our branch is on a sort of shut down at the mo, as our co-ordinator has left (who did about 4 jobs) and we dont have people to take over, so we've been told by HQ not to take cats in just now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

Its terrible Dawn I agree but lots of charities are volunteers and there often simply is no room especially this time of year............you could have fosterers who put a cat in each room every avaiulable space but where do you draw the line.....its terrible sad and a shame but a lot of cats stick around and kittens get rehomed.

Its beyond a shame, but a sad fact of cat rescue.

I will put on my thinkking cap for you..............

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
15-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #9

Sadly the same story all round - our offers of help here ae turned down yet I have the space and isolation facilities to deal with most types of cts and have the space for TNR ferals but nobody is interested seems its a lose lose currently - I also offer vets discount - very goodrate by the way and will cover all food, vets bills and give them love in return but sadly we are not allowed due to our numbers - my oldies, ferals and the ones with issues are lucky - they have us to back them and give them a safe haven

Elaine can tell you all some wonderfuls storiesabout the roumers about us - but she has been here and can tell the real world or story - my 4 feral rescue kittens all now nealry a year old took a lot of time and effort but Jet, Turbo, Aztec and maya are all now on weekend playtime and will join our inside/outside crew as will another couple of sad cases - now happy cats Wispa and Fudge who gwet all their things done this weekend so I have space for another 6 on the inside only crew if someone needs that not so normal fosterer to help - we also have all the gear traps, crush cages, kitten pens, mother and baby pens

I also have 2 very well cat trained Border Collies!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
Sadly the same story all round - our offers of help here ae turned down yet I have the space and isolatin facilities to deal with most types of cts and have the space for TNR ferals but nobody is interested seems its a lose lose currently
Liz, that's awful. You have the space, facilities and knowledge and yet you're not being utilised. Shame on those who purport to care