Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #21

Re: Found this really disturbing

I have 4 pedigree cats, and one gorgeous moggy, since joining Catsey and working with the Cp, I would never ever buy another cat, so yes I am well and truly converted....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #22

I generally agree with meep's well reasoned post. I do think the majority of moggies should be neutered, and pedigrees that aren't show quality. And that all cats taken into rescue should be also. But it should be a decision made by the owner, a reponsible owner who's investigated all the costs involved. I would have dearly loved to have bred Misty, my first blue torbie; she was a lovely cat and would have been a wonderful mother. But when I considered the problem of finding a suitable tom, raising the kittens and finding loving homes for them, I didn't; plus there are too many cats needing homes. My close friend Carolyn, who believed having one litter was good for the female, did the opposite. But I will say she took great time and trouble vetting the tom, seeing that the three kittens were vet checked and had the proper shots; and was extremely careful in finding them good homes, with the understanding that the cat was to be returned to her if there were problems, (One was!) We agreed to disagree on this point; I couldn't convince her. But not every owner is as conscientious as she was. Need I say Kate was spayed after the litter? I do agree that inbreeding can be a problem, especially with breeds with small gene pools (like my beloved Puras!), but we are never, ever going to run out of moggies ! Sorry if this is a bit wordy.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #23

Thanks for the comments on my post DM; I think you articulated what I was trying to say much better than I did!

I completely understand everyone's attitude toward neutering moggies and not breeding them, especially if they've worked in a shelter and have seen the devestating effects of not neutering cats and there being more cats than there are homes.

All my cats have been either gifts, CP adoptions and one was a wee kitten we found outside our house abondoned by her mother, so also a rescue! We've never bought a cat, and when my mum and dad's first cat, Baggins, was given to them as a wedding present they found out she was pregant once they'd gotten her and were planning to get her spayed; they gave away all the kittens to good friends and didn't ask for a single penny, and kept one kitten themself.

This is just personal opinin, and I'm not trying to persuade or convert anyone, but what irks me slightly is that the breeding of moggies is condemned and we all understand the awful plight of cats in rescue centres and we are all encouraged to adopt from rescue centres rather than breed or buy bred moggies; but breeding of pedigrees isn't frowned upon at all. I know people want to continue the breed, and people buy certain pedigrees for certain reasons (ie. their look, their known temprament); but as I've said before, at the end of the day a cat is a cat, and the double stadnard of condemning moggie breeding but shrugging off pedigree breeding doesn't rest well with me. I'm not against breeding pedigrees at all, but surely anyone who wants a cat should be encouraged first and foremost to adopt a moggie (or a pedigree from a pedigree rescue centre) rather than buy a cat, whether it be moggie or pedigree.

ETA: Anyway, I know I'm repeating what I said earlier, and I'm not trying to cause a debate. We all have our own opinions and I think we're all justified in them and will all stick to them What I know is we're all supportive of CP and other rescue centres, and the wonderful work they do! Without them I wouldn't have my two gorgeous boys, and my wonderful girl Sophie at home.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Thanks for the comments on my post DM; I think you articulated what I was trying to say much better than I did!

I completely understand everyone's attitude toward neutering moggies and not breeding them, especially if they've worked in a shelter and have seen the devestating effects of not neutering cats and there being more cats than there are homes.

All my cats have been either gifts, CP adoptions and one was a wee kitten we found outside our house abondoned by her mother, so also a rescue! We've never bought a cat, and when my mum and dad's first cat, Baggins, was given to them as a wedding present they found out she was pregant once they'd gotten her and were planning to get her spayed; they gave away all the kittens to good friends and didn't ask for a single penny, and kept one kitten themself.

This is just personal opinin, and I'm not trying to persuade or convert anyone, but what irks me slightly is that the breeding of moggies is condemned and we all understand the awful plight of cats in rescue centres and we are all encouraged to adopt from rescue centres rather than breed or buy bred moggies; but breeding of pedigrees isn't frowned upon at all. I know people want to continue the breed, and people buy certain pedigrees for certain reasons (ie. their look, their known temprament); but as I've said before, at the end of the day a cat is a cat, and the double stadnard of condemning moggie breeding but shrugging off pedigree breeding doesn't rest well with me. I'm not against breeding pedigrees at all, but surely anyone who wants a cat should be encouraged first and foremost to adopt a moggie (or a pedigree from a pedigree rescue centre) rather than buy a cat, whether it be moggie or pedigree.

ETA: Anyway, I know I'm repeating what I said earlier, and I'm not trying to cause a debate. We all have our own opinions and I think we're all justified in them and will all stick to them What I know is we're all supportive of CP and other rescue centres, and the wonderful work they do! Without them I wouldn't have my two gorgeous boys, and my wonderful girl Sophie at home.
hiya thats what i said in my last post i WAnted to adopt/rescue but no one would let me without a garden! i phoned so many places one lady even got annoyed that i would think of keeping the cat indoors! it was only 8weeks old would have had a fantastic home here.

i feel guilty (although would not change him for the world as he is amazing) that i paid £50 to fund some lady who churns out these cats like hot dinners

if i had rescued like i planned she wouldnt have got the money from me.
like alot of people i can not afford a pedigree (am saving now for my next cat will take about 1yr/18months!) so i went for what i could afford after i looked into resucing, and what i could afford was a moggy........alot of people wouldnt be able to afford cats if we didnt have moggies

so what if i dont have a garden? (although i will do soon!) my cats happy and soo spoilt and loved, and i could have given it a good home, so why say people without gardens cant have one? it cuts off half of the world!! (well not the world but you know what i mean!)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #25

Elvisisboss, I've heard of some rescues being funny about who they allow to adopt, and some haven't allowed people with young children to either. It's strange that she wouldn't allow you to keep a cat indoors, unless it was already an outdoor cat. The Glasgow CP league lists its cats on teh website as either "Indoor Only" or "requires outdoor access" depending on what their background is. Perhaps all the cats they had in at that time had had outdoor access previously and so it wouldn't be fair to them keep them indoors?

I never thought of the money issue, but that is also true. I could never afford a pedigree cat either, and if I could afford the initial cost I wouldn't rush in until I knew I could afford any vet bills or higher insurance that comes with the risk of known heriditary diseases. Moggie cats are cheaper to insure as they generally have stronger genes and are less prone to hereditary illnesses. ANd for people like yourself who couldn't adopt from shelter or CP, buying a moggie was your only option.

I think generally all moggies should be neutered, but there are certain circumstances when buying or breeding moggies is justified, which is why I disagree with the stance of 100% NO to moggie breeding.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #26

i know but they had in lots of kittens only 7/8weeks but she said they already had a 'taste' of the garden.

its kinda cutting people off though, people who want to rescue cant......cant afford a pedigree........what else do we do?

i emailed some really nice breeders about my situation and some said they were willing to half their prices which was so nice of them! but it still was too much for me right now, maybe in the future when i have saved, but that could be 18months away!

i dont know if this sounds mean but couldnt they keep kittens inside? that way flat owners could adopt too?
as kittens get adopted quicker i though so wouldnt that be a idea?

Catsey Veteran

03-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #27

You had no choice but to buy, Elvisisboss! I cannot understand some of the absurd restrictions some rescues insist on. I bought my three pedigrees before I was on Catsey and learned about the terrible overpopulation of cats; any future ones will be from rescues or breed rescues, absolutely!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

I'm pretty much against breeding anything, there are so many animals out there needing homes, why breed, even pedigrees. I would like to know how many animals spend their whole life in a single home and live to the full life expectancy, without being moved on at one time.
In a way pedigrees are almost worse as they are more likely to carry genetic problems, more so in dogs, I must admit. Don't get me wrong there are certain pets, I would have loved to have had a baby from, because they were special characters ( OK almost all of them) but unless I could keep them all, what happens to the babies. Most people in the end disappoint me, I can deal with it usually, but if it was regarding an animal I would be devastated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
I'm pretty much against breeding anything, there are so many animals out there needing homes, why breed, even pedigrees. I would like to know how many animals spend their whole life in a single home and live to the full life expectancy, without being moved on at one time.
In a way pedigrees are almost worse as they are more likely to carry genetic problems, more so in dogs, I must admit. Don't get me wrong there are certain pets, I would have loved to have had a baby from, because they were special characters ( OK almost all of them) but unless I could keep them all, what happens to the babies. Most people in the end disappoint me, I can deal with it usually, but if it was regarding an animal I would be devastated.
This is the reason I would never breed any of my pets, even if I had what I though good homes for the litters, I would still worry about them....

Catsey Veteran

03-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
This is the reason I would never breed any of my pets, even if I had what I though good homes for the litters, I would still worry about them....
Carolyn kept in close touch with the people who took her kittens; when one family had to move overseas and couldn't take Minguette she came back to Carolyn,. I kept in touch with Dandy's breeder for 12 years; talked on the phone frequently and sent photos; also with the lady I rehomed Patches from..sent her pics every Christmas with my card. But most people don't bother, so you do always wonder, don't you? I know that if I had bred Misty I'd probably have kept the kittens........