Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Flea treatment immunity

Can cats develop immunity to flea treatments? Fifi has been having the same drops (Advantage) since she was a kitten; she's now 15. Each time I keep her on my lap, which I try to do a lot as otherwise she gets withdrawn, I end up covered in bites despite treating her regularly as clockwork.

Doesn't seem to be the case with Myshka and he gets treated at the same times.

Could she/the fleas be immune to the drops and should I try another brand? I don't like to make too many changes incase she reacts to new medication but I'm fed up of scratching all the time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Re: Flea treatment immunity

It is fairly certain that fleas can develop immunity to the insecticide used in preparations - I had the same problem some years ago with dear old Merlin and Frontline, quite a while before my vet practice stopped recommending that preparation and moved to Advantage. My two are still on Advantage and, luckily for me, it still works well. The alternative I believe is Advocate. I found that Pip especially seemed unwell for a couple of days after application so I've gone back to Advantage for both cats.

You certainly don't want poor Fifi to continue with being infested - apart from it being horrid for you, it may cause her to get anaemic.

I'd ask you vet for advice especially given her medical history. Good Luck!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
16-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

My two are on Advocate and have had no problems with fleas or health from this. It was recommended by my vet!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Cassie has been on Advocate for years, it was recommended by the vet and it works well for her with no problems/side effects.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
16-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #5

Are you also spraying your house?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Yes, I do spray the house but never get bitten apart from when I hold Fifi. Her towel and blanket that she sleeps on also get regularly hot washed.