Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Broxi peeing in dogs bowls

I really need help as I'm at my wits end We've had Ranger since august, and whilst Cooper and Teddie detest him, Broxi has been the one to take to him more. Well that's what we thought anyway. For the last month or so he has taken to peeing in Rangers bowls if they are left on the floor empty. So we make sure they are lifted as soon as he's eaten now. So Broxi has then moved on to peeing in pots, dishes, anything he can really, that are in various places around the house. I have had him at the vets (as one did seem to have a spot of blod in). He's got no sign of infection, no temp, bladder as it should be. Gave him a metacam injection and a weeks worth of liquid just to be on the safe side. But it's still continuing! My hubby is get REALLY annoyed by this now, he's rather OCD regarding hygiene aspects and I find myself hunting the house to hide any evidence of peeing Has anyone got any advice they can give. We've tried the feliways, zylkene and the vets and I have no idea where to turn now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Re: Broxi peeing in dogs bowls

Oh dear Alex, you must be at your wits' end and I don't have any suggestions other than perhaps to ask your vet if he/she could recommend an animal behaviourist?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
10-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

We've had similar problems with Imogen and the babie's things-I had to throw out two of the pushchair raincovers as she kept peeing on them.
In the end we had to get another litter tray, so we have 3 for one cat and if she has pee'd in one she won't use it again. It has worked though,as well as putting our blinds in the living room down at night (there was another cat in our garden, looking in through the bay window which I think was worrying her and that was where the pushchairs are kept)
Could it be that he's stressed by another cat coming in to his territory-are any of the places he pees anywhere near a window or a door?

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #4

My 3 are all indoor cats, so I don't think it can be anything like that. We've had cats coming into the garden for years and it doesn't bother him. The stuff he's peeing on is everywhere tbh. The kitchen sink, dogs bowls, pots on the cooker, the bath He uses the litter trays regularly, but it's almost as if he's going round all these different spots and squeezing some out! I know it's all stemming from the dog coming into the house, but I'm perplexed as to why he didn't do it from the beginning :-{

Angie, being perfectly honest, atm I can't risk a behaviourist, my emergency fund is having to be kept close to hand due to family concerns and the possibility of a dash up to Scotland

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #5

I wonder if the simple fact like the other two is under stress only his has taken longer to "surface" is the answer. Found what I have understood cats "peeing/spaying the area" is unless caused by a medical condition is caused by stress the thing is what may stress a cat will not always be noticed by humans.

I imagine to Broxi you or hubby cleaning up is tantamount to another "cat/intruder" in his space.

Luckily neither of mine spayed in the house other than Cleo when she got a little muddled on "where to go" when she got older..."dementia" I think"

I can appreciate the stress levels rising and the cats wil pick that up too as will the dog...and the vicious circle continues.

No solution but the fact is you brought a dog into the house and have 3 indoor cats who were already adults - not acustomed to a dog at all and nowhere to go to "escape" so they are maybe stressing and therefore this is the physical showing of it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
11-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #6

Just thinking with what Karen says, is there anyway you can make an outside area for the cats where they could go to be "away" from the dogs, if your hubby was handy

A cat group I belong to - one of the folk there has made a wooden structure in shape of a shed with a roof on top - corragrated - all sides open with wire except the back of it, which is against the house, the cats go in and out though a catflap in the window and they very cleverly have a wheel on each corner so that it rolls away when they want access into it; they keep the litter trays in it so the cats go,outside to toilet. The cathouse is kept in place by heavy flower tubs against the front of it, it would be a retreat where your cats could go to, these folk made it themselves & it looks good. They have two deaf cats & it was a way to let them "out" but keep them safe

Just an idea, you could make your own version, or something similar & novelty of it would give your cats something else to think about

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

Have you tried confining him to a single room when you're out of the house or at night? With at least 1 litter tray in there with him? My Balie used to go to the loo everywhere when he was starting to go downhill, however he was (a) old and (b) a bit muddled at best of times.

The only thing we did was meticulously clean up after him, as no amount of aversion therapy seemed to make a difference.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

sorry to hear of your problem, like everyone else i think it's caused by stress and like Karen says when you clean it up it's probably stressful as well to him. I can only say which you probably know anyway, is to make sure you clean the area with biological powder and water as anything else can smell like another cat has been apparently.
When we had Tom i'm afraid he used to spray things, including us, the electrical sockets and horror of horror the clean pots in the drainer. It didn't happen all the time but was realy difficult when he did.
Could as others have suggested the cats have a seperate living area ?

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Thanks all for the replies We have made as many 'safe' areas for them as possible. The kitchen has a baby gate on it to stop Ranger going in, and that is where their food dishes etc are and 2 litter trays (at opposite ends of the room I hasten to add lol). Then at the top of the stairs there is another gate, and that gives the cats the whole of the upstairs to roam, water dishes and another litter tray.

At night the cats have the whole house to themselves as Ranger comes into our bedroom to sleep on his bed (the cats have always been shut out of our room at night, so not depriving them of a room ). I honestly can't think of any other ways in which we could give them their own space

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Thanks all for the replies We have made as many 'safe' areas for them as possible. The kitchen has a baby gate on it to stop Ranger going in, and that is where their food dishes etc are and 2 litter trays (at opposite ends of the room I hasten to add lol). Then at the top of the stairs there is another gate, and that gives the cats the whole of the upstairs to roam, water dishes and another litter tray.

At night the cats have the whole house to themselves as Ranger comes into our bedroom to sleep on his bed (the cats have always been shut out of our room at night, so not depriving them of a room ). I honestly can't think of any other ways in which we could give them their own space
There is no way the dog is there the mere presence of the dog will may be enough to stress them. it seems. Not sure if it will improve.............You have two cats who "detest" the dog and one who has developed a habit he did not have before............