Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
05-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #1

Cat being sick?

Hello...

Alfie, my three year old cat has started being ill. He had diarhoea about two weeks ago so we took him to the vets. The vet thought it was likely that he had a food intolerance. He was already on a Sensitivity Prescription Diet. For the last two weeks he has been on a white fish and potato diet.

Yesterday Alfie finished the antibiotic tablets and when we went downstairs this morning he had been sick alot.

We just assumed that he had got hold of the others cat food. However, this afternoon he started yowling then would be sick. The sick was very foamy and very pink (blood).

I took him to the emergancy vets and they felt him all over, took his temperature and checked his mouth etc and he seemed fine. He isn't though.

The vet gave Alfie an injection to stop him being sick, more antibiotic tablets and some white liquid that he has to have 30 minutes before food, three times a day. This will line his stomach.

Anybody have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Thanks

Tanya

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
06-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: Cat being sick?

You know him best and if you're not happy (I don't think I would be either), take him back to your vet.
It could be any number of things tbh, have they run any bloods? Did he have a temperature-just wondering if that's why they've given him anti-b's?
Is he eating/drinking normally and what are his faeces like now?
Gentle hugs to Alfie x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

Poor Alfie .... sorry to hear he's poorly. Does he go outside? Could he have eaten something he shouldn't have?

Almost a Veteran Member

06-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

He is an indoor cat so hasn't had anything bad to eat and when we took him to the vets yesterday he didn't have a temperature.

He has only been eating white fish and mashed potato for 2 weeks.

He comes when I call his name and he is eating but he is not as energetic as usual and he isn't scoffing his food as fast as he usually does.

My sister will be checking on him at lunchtime tomorrow and my mum will check on him again at 3pm ish.

I have noticed that his lips seem to be very pink and his gums very bright red....the skin on the bald/thinner hair parts above his eyes are also still pink/red.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

I wouldn't be happy with this Tanya . . . is there something around the house that he could have injested such as plant leaves, insects even?

My personal feeling would be that if he's no better when you get back this evening that you take him back to the vet and ask them to carry out a more thorough investigation.

Almost a Veteran Member

07-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

Alfie is happy to eat today and has been using his litter tray. He still has very pink/red skin above his eyes.

I have made an appointment to see a vet tomorrow .... I have been off work ill today.

Almost a Veteran Member

07-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I wouldn't be happy with this Tanya . . . is there something around the house that he could have injested such as plant leaves, insects even?
There are no plants in the house for Alfie to chew... we got rid of them when he was a kitten. He could have chewed a spider, but that is not likely because he is too scared to catch them! He does try to steal the hay from the rabbits - but that it just grass really.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #8

If he's a house cat & doesn't go out, he won't be used to grass/hay, wonder if he has an allergy to something like that?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #9

Awwww poor Alfie, wish I could come up with something to help but not sure other than something funny he has eaten I do hope he gets better soon though x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #10

If he has injested straw/hay, it could be causing an internal irritation as the edges are quite sharp. However if his eating/toiletting has returned to normal hopefully that's the end of that problem. Hope you get to the bottom of the skin redness.