Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
24-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

tartar build up

Skye got a general check over at the vet today as she hasnt been to them yet. Shes really healthy and quite muscley so in good general health but she does have a bit of tartar on her teeth. I want to make sure we stay in control of it so it doesnt get worse. Just wondering what other people give their cats to help keep the build up down. We currently use the whiska denta bites

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Re: tartar build up

I do have cat toothpaste and a brush ......... I've used the toothpaste on Pip, who also had a bit of tartar at his last check up but haven't plucked up courage to use the brush yet .... also got one of those finger brushes and again need more courage. My dear old Merlin let one lady vet with strong fingernails, ping his bits of tartar off. We were both amazed that he allowed it!

You can add something to the cat water bowl too and I keep forgetting the name of the product.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
24-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

Aquadent. I'd forgotten too angieh, I cheated and looked it up!
http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/site.aspx?i=pr183093

There's also Dentagen, but a user's review I've just read doesn't rate it that highly. Can't speak for the Aquadent, haven't used either. Perhaps someone will come along who has...

Chesi has 2 big lumps of hardened white plaque on his back teeth, the rest don't show a hint of pink under the light that reveals the plaque. Hesitant to have him put under for a full scrape and polish as I really don't think he needs one but receptionist assures me the full Grade 1 scale and polish with extra fluids in the form of a drip to control his BP while under would do all the teeth, including under the gums. I thought BP was monitored as standard anyway, and fluids administered as needed, didn't think a drip was an 'addition', I could be wrong. I wonder if he'd let the vet pick them off like dear Merlin did! I worry because his eyes were all over the place after his last anaesthetic and he doesn't recognise me for a while, it's quite unsettling. I wish I had the courage to try a finger brush angieh, but doubt Chesi would let me!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
24-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #4

I dont think Skye would let me do that. Thankfully the vet has said at the moment its nothing to worry about but as she gets older she will need dental treatment around the age of 10 so i want to take precautionary methods way before that!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
24-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

I have tried to brush tiger's teeth but he is way too handy with the claws. I have used some of the toothpaste which contains enzymes and so far tiger has not needed another dental.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #6

According to the vet we all go to, tartar build up has little to do with what the cat eats but there is a tendency in some cats to accumulate tartar, whilst others that eat the same don't. I suspect that it must have something to do with natural acid in the saliva, but I am no expert.