Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Need your opinion/advice

Hi Folks

I'm a bit uneasy about little Mindy. She is just 8 months old. Over the past few days (less than a week) she has developed what appears to be a distended tummy. She is no longer the kitten shape, more like an adult cat of 4/5 yrs with the big tummy. I took a photo and sent it to a friend in rescue and she like myself thinks there is swelling

Mindy is fine in herself, running about, playing, eating & drinking well, pooh & wee normal. I will ring the vet in the morning to get her seen.

Even Tim or Amber at 19 & 17 months are not this shape

Can you look at the photos - which I appreciate are not all that clear nor do they show a true pictureof whatever it is. She is such a lovely cat, a real treasure.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this in a kitten or young cat & know what it could be or do you think I am worrying unnecessarily?

This is more like what it's like - 2 furry cow udders hanging down, but her shape just doesn't look right *

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #2

Re: Need your opinion/advice

I take it she has been spayed? Some cats can get a bit droopy but it tends to be older cats especially ones who have had kittens, which is obviously not Mindy. Has she been wormed regularly?

I think a check up at the vets is wise although it is probably something or nothing. So try not to worry.

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
I take it she has been spayed? Some cats can get a bit droopy but it tends to be older cats especially ones who have had kittens, which is obviously not Mindy. Has she been wormed regularly?

I think a check up at the vets is wise although it is probably something or nothing. So try not to worry.
Yes, she was spayed approximately 8 weeks ago. Yes they are wormed regularly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
15-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

has she been going to the toilet ok? other than that the only thing i think it could have been was worms also. think vets is the best bet here. hope shes ok x

Catsey Veteran

15-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Yes toilet both ways fine. Did wee bit of surfing which is not always best thing to do as now I am really worried

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #6

I wouldn't start worrying. It could just be poor muscle tone underneath. Some cats do have this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Yes I'd take her to the vet - really the only thing you can do to find out if anything needs to be done and to put your mind at ease. Fingers crossed all is well.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #8

Vets tomorrow

My internets gone down - using mobile which is a bit of a hit & miss. . Very very slow & very limited access.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
17-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #9

Is she feeling well in herself? If you've googled, you are probably thinking FIP, but FIP cats are VERY VERY ill, and if she is otherwise fine in herself, its likely nothing serious at all. Take a deep breath, and let us know what the vet says. She may just have a different build to your other cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Hope the vets visit goes ok, Helen.