Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
06-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #11

Re: Hello and Hyperthyroidism

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
Hi Gaina
I've no experience with forketor, but farthing's post is very helpful.
Ref exercise; have you tried the fishing rod toy, even the most laid back of cats can't resist these.

SORRY POSTED TWICE!
Hello . This is like a riding crop with feathers on the end. Billy just doesn't 'do' play - never has, despite the toys I bought him when he was younger. He did used to enjoy nicking peppermint teabags but that's about his limit. Hmm....I'll think of something!

Catsey Junior

06-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinef2
My cat tiger is on fortekor, he had a stroke in february/ march last year. The vets reckons the stroke was down to a heart condition. He was doing much better within a week to ten days as they had given me blood pressure meds too to help support him initially. Hope this helps a wee bit

Hello Pauline,

Yes that helps a lot thank you, cos I've got a 14-day supply of fortekor so I know when to expect to seen an improvement . I'm just praying that it's primary hypertension, or if it's secondary then its the thyroid which I am gathering is relatively straightforward to treat.

Catsey Junior

06-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Gaina - here's a recent photo of our Monty Bogle http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=40445
Aww, he's gorgeous!

Catsey Junior

09-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #14

After a very nervous day, I just came off the phone to my vet.

Billy's thyroid levels are double what they should be, and the root cause of his heart murmur and some strain on his kidneys and liver, so tomorrow he's starting a 14-day course of a drug called Videlta to get that under control.

There has been a noticeable improvement in his energy levels and breath in four days, so the vet thinks this is a positive sign to have improvement even before the Videlta has been started.

I have to take him back for a check up at the end of next week to see how well he's responding to both medications.

I'm honestly so exhausted I am not sure if I'm going to burst into tears or be sick, I've been so worried!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #15

Tears are easier cleaned up than sick Gaina! Glad that Billy is responding well to his meds already. Hopefully his condition will stabilise and he'll be a happy cat again.

It's very worrying and I'm sure we all can appreciate what you've been going through with him.

Catsey Junior

09-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Tears are easier cleaned up than sick Gaina! Glad that Billy is responding well to his meds already. Hopefully his condition will stabilise and he'll be a happy cat again.

It's very worrying and I'm sure we all can appreciate what you've been going through with him.
Thank you so much Angie, you've all been a wonderful comfort to me - I don't know how I'd have managed without all your kindness and advice xxx

I'm now emailing the companies that make the wormers and flea treatments I use to see if there are any known reactions with Fortekor and Vidalta. Best to check 'eh?

Billy is, in true feline style completely cool about the whole thing and a bit puzzled when the humans keep picking him up and asking him how he's feeling!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #17

Glad you have a diagnosis and that Billy is better already.
Hopefully in 2 weeks he should be feeling even better as the ness kick in, don't be disappointed or surprised if it takes a few tries to get the right dose- we end up juggling things for about 6 months often until we get them all settled, and regular blood samples are recommends as thyroid levels change through time- they can increase or often decrease if the cat has an other chronic illness ( CRf for example). I would still recommend a blood test to check kidneys when his thyroid levels are normal, just to be sure.
Certainly I've had no problems with profender, drontal, frontline or advocate with my hyperthyroid cats- I have 4 on Vidalta and one on felimazole because the Vidalta kept making her sick.
Hope he just gets better and better.

Catsey Junior

10-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Glad you have a diagnosis and that Billy is better already.
Hopefully in 2 weeks he should be feeling even better as the ness kick in, don't be disappointed or surprised if it takes a few tries to get the right dose- we end up juggling things for about 6 months often until we get them all settled, and regular blood samples are recommends as thyroid levels change through time- they can increase or often decrease if the cat has an other chronic illness ( CRf for example). I would still recommend a blood test to check kidneys when his thyroid levels are normal, just to be sure.
Certainly I've had no problems with profender, drontal, frontline or advocate with my hyperthyroid cats- I have 4 on Vidalta and one on felimazole because the Vidalta kept making her sick.
Hope he just gets better and better.
Thank you, Farthing .

My vet seems to be pretty switched on (I seem to see a different vet every time for regular check ups but I have asked to see this particular one for Billy in future as I really like her) so we'll be monitoring things carefully .

We start the Vidalta tonight as it has to be taken at the same time every day so we picked a time when we're all around to give it to him and we'll watch how he goes for the next week or two.

He's very content today and has been outside again which is always a good sign .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #19

That's great. Just a quick point, Vidalta is more effective if taken around feeding time.

Catsey Junior

10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
That's great. Just a quick point, Vidalta is more effective if taken around feeding time.
I think it says that on the packaging which is why we chose 6pm, but thank you for reminding me .