Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Crossbreed
23-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Poorly cat :(

This is not a happy thread sadly

The family cats who live at my mum's are now in 'old age' well I keep being informed that 12 is old for a cat.

Well Geri about a year ago had to have 2 teeth removed as she got diagnosed with gigivitus? (sorry about horrendous spelling). She stopped eating for a while and her weight dropped dramatically but, with feeding her by hand and mashing her food to a liquid consistency she put her weight back on and recovered. However, she stopped eating a few weeks ago so my sister under advice from the RSPCA started to feed her kitten food as it was richer in vitamins and smaller. She ate this food with no problems at all. BUT here comes the problems she didn't put any weight back on and she is now skin and bones there is no muscle on her at all! Can feel all her bones :'( She has lost the ability to jump and now proceeds to climb up our legs with her claws. She no longer walks in a straight line either her hips seem to swing out to the side as she walks.

We have had no money rung around every one you can think of to see if we could get her treated and then pay with no success. Payday is tomorrow so we are off to the vets at 9. My mum and sister are contemplating having her PTS as her quality of life has diminished dramatically. Going to the vets to talk to a vet about what options are available if it's simply paying for pain relief them I am prepared to do this however, my mum says this isn't fair on Geri as she is clearly in pain when she eats.

Sorry for such a long post just wondered if anyone has had any dealings with gingervitus (trying all spellings!)

The cats have been with me for more than half my life and the thought of losing one is horrible!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #2

Re: Poorly cat :(

So very sorry to hear about Geri. From what you have said, she is in a sorry state and tbh I wouldn't get my hopes up for good news at the vet. IMO it would be a kindness to let her go, she may well have other health problems. So sorry.

Catsey Junior

23-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

I thought as much am truly dreading tomorrow I cry at adverts on the telly so don't really want tomorrow to happen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

It is truly a hard thing to do. I do sympathise.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

I'm so sorry, it does sound as if the quality of her life is very poor now, and it would be a kindness to let her go. But, it is so very very hard .... (((hugs)))

Catsey Junior

23-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

I know I don't know what I'm hoping for as what ever she needs is not going to be enough to get her back to how she was. Just gutted. Just hope her brother Tom will be ok with out her they've never really 'got on' but, he's bound to miss her. I even think Milo (dog) knows she's not well as he doesn't attempt to play with her he just leaves her alone

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
23-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

so sorry to hear about Geri, i agree with whats been said aswell. As hard as it is to make this sad decision, you are showing her kindness as she would no longer be suffering.

Hugs to you xx

Catsey Junior

23-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

Thanks Pamela81

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

So sorry to read your post, do try to take something possitive from it though, such as knowledge for the future.
I too feel that it would be unfair to have your poorly cat linger in this way.
Gum disease, which is what gingivitis is, can be a sign of other illness and can also contribute to creating illness and causing damage to vital organs.
Am so terribly sorry.

Catsey Junior

23-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

I sort of know this and don't think keeping her lingering on would be fair on her. She's had a good life! Only 1 trip to the vets in 12 years of her being here for her being poorly. Loved dearly and will be soreley missed.