Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
26-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #11

Re: In today's paper - opinions

Sorry Smudgley what do you mean? I thought the point was would you put a cat through extensive tests to maybe extend its life by a couple of weeks or a couple of months at best.

I don't think money is the issue here but quality of life, although maybe other people read it differently.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #12

whatever.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #13

Well I read it and a few things sprang to mind.

I appreciate that the lady didn't want to pay out for needless tests but she also didn't actually know what was wrong with the cats, just based it on what she had heard from a friend and really, there are other conditions with those symptoms which if treated accordingly could have prolonged his life for a good few years.

She had never taken the cats to the vets before, not even for vaccinations or neutering which in my mind is totally irresponsible. She said that he had blood tests and some sort of injection but neglected to mention any results or if she had waited for them to come through.

I don't like how she wrote the article, it was emotionless and to my mind she is a person who is quite capable of caring for a cat, but lacks the emotional bond that drives us to do the very best we can for our furbabies.

I feel as well that she went in for her first ever visit with an attitude that all they were about was the money and had already determined what she wanted to happen and didn't listen to her vets nor was interested in finding out if there was anything she could do.

She also based the other cat on what had happened to the first which is totally wrong and in not doing anything to help her, led to her suffering needlessly.

I don't blame the vets at all for wanting to help the CAT and getting upset and angry when this hard nosed woman told them how it was going to be. I don't justify their actions, but I understand them.

The comments about the card just annoyed me - Why would a vet NOT expect someone to appreciate condolences on the loss of a much loved pet who has been part of your life for so many years.

And don't get me started on the comment about the fur for gloves.

I really don't like journalists.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #14

I just hope I'd never be reincarnated as one of that woman's cats......

The cash register going kaching in her mind...
The glove comment..
Letting that poor cat suffer needessly ..
Laughing at the sympathy card...

The mind boggles!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
26-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #15

I dont know what to say realy. You do the best for your animals and only you know when the time is right to let them go. I think some of the comments what she said was inapropiate though.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado
I dont know what to say realy. You do the best for your animals and only you know when the time is right to let them go. I think some of the comments what she said was inapropiate though.

jane
exactly!..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I just hope I'd never be reincarnated as one of that woman's cats......

The cash register going kaching in her mind...
The glove comment..
Letting that poor cat suffer needessly ..
Laughing at the sympathy card...

The mind boggles!
To sum it up, who finds a sympathy card funny? I can imagine them, "A SYMPATHY CARD? HA! IT'S ONLY A CAT!"

Who makes a comment so callous as 'you can sell my dead cat's fur for gloves, I don't care'.?

And the last part in her wanting to leave her cat there while it was PTS in the hands of strangers. After having this cat for 19 years do you not think she owed it this last honour? Just seemed very 'throwaway'.

Just what I thought guys, seemed very selfish to me. It's not the fact she didn't want the tests done at all, it's everything else...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
26-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #18

I agree that you know your animals best and only you know when it's time to let them go - *but* She didn't actually know how their health was in the run up to this - could it have been avoided with better vet care or at least caught on a yearly checkup, was it a result of them being un-vaccinated etc.

I think the fact they have never had a (visible) problem in all the time she has had them is down to genetics rather than care. A feed them and leave them to it policy is not being a responsible cat owner.

I can accept that she didn't want to put them through trauma but she also didn't know what was the problem was nor wanted to find out because she felt the vets were fleecing her.

This a woman who is in control of her life and she had to control the situation and I feel it all happened to suit her, not her cats.

I don't advocate prolonging animals lives unless a GOOD quality of life for the pet can be achieved but I bet anyone who has made that difficult choice was in full possession of the facts of the illness and made that choice for their beloved animal, not themselves, not the cost.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #19

Grete - I agree 100% you said exactly what I thought but much more eloquently!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
26-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
exactly!..........
But do you put a Cat through endless tests in the hope you can get a couple more months "life" out of them? When does it become in the PETS best interest not to carry on, and your selfishness and need to hang on as an owner be let go of?

I understand the woman, I dont like the way the article was written, but I expect it was done to gauge a reaction, which it has, all the extra "readers" are what its all about.

Re waiting for blood test results, these would of been done withing 24hrs, it says that 2 days after the bloods the cat was worse, he was then admitted and put on a drip and several days after that there was no improvement. I would assume the bloods revealed either something that couldnt be treated or it has been omitted for some reason, but they surely would of had them back.
Dawn.