Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Turkish Van, Russian Blue, & Mixed
28-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #11

Re: Neutering at WHAT WEIGHT?

I was disgusted when I had heard they neutered him that young. If I would have been given the option to just take him back in at a better weight and age, I would have had no problem, however by the time I had adopted him he was already neutered. I just can't see how this is legal or humane for them to have done! I'm just at a complete loss of what to think/do about this one...*sighs*

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
28-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #12

Personally I wouild report them for neutering at 3 weeks, as that is far to young. But I do see some merit in neutering at about a bit early (although my cats will always be done at the 5-6month mark) but 3 week is ridiculous.
Hope he is OK now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
28-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #13

I'm horrified that they could be done as early as 3 weeks, but also in awe of the skill of the vets to manage to do the op on such a tiny patient. We had our cats done at just over 5 months, the vet wanted us to wait until after 6 months but Jason was getting much too interested in his sister , forever pestering her and she was becoming distressed.

Molly's op was not straightforward because she was still so small, said the vet, and he had to abandon the neat little incision he'd done on her flank and open her down the front. This meant that the poor thing had 2 scars to heal and the one down her front was quite a major one. Not very skillful of the vet was it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #14

I used to be against the early spay and neutering but due to the amount of stray and unwanted animals around the globe I can see the reasons behind it. Its a situation that has spiralled out of control and many people cannot be trusted to be responsible enough to go and have their animals spayed and neutered at a reasonable age or even to keep their animals indoors and protected until they reach a reasonable age for being spayed/neutered.
That said I agree that 3 weeks is way too early. I have googled many humane society sites which state the earliest they spay and neuter is from 8 to 16 weeks of age and the link I am about to post states from as young as 6 weeks of age.
http://www.americanhumane.org/site/P..._neuter#whe n

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Turkish Van, Russian Blue, & Mixed
29-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #15

I am totally for getting animals spayed or neutered as well, however, if I were to report them how would I go about doing this? Who would I report them to, if they are the place one would normally report such an act to?

Catsey Veteran

29-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #16

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/neuter.html
There is a number you can call to discuss the best age and weight to spay/neuter on the above link. Maybe you could call them and have a little chat and take it from there.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
30-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #17

Aww poor thing that is terribly young. I got my kitten from the RSPCA last week, he is about 16 weeks so too young for neutering.. to be honest I didn't think they would neuter until they were about 6 months. RSPCA will pay for him to be done next month when he is old enough.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainCoonX, SnowShoeX, & Their Baby
30-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #18

Id have to agree with Luke. I personally dont like fixing my animals before they are a year old. This way I know they are fully grown and matured and everything is in wokring order and doing fine before going under for surgery. I know that some people may feel that its too late and other behaviors can occur in this time, but after all the research and talking to vets that I have done on this matter I prefer to wait.

Catsey Veteran

30-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #19

I think its all fine and well talking about what we would do and at what age as we are all part of a cat loving/understanding forum. I too like my own animals to be of a more mature age before nuetering/spaying.
But we are talking about rescues etc who see day in/day out the problems of over population and are to all intents and purposes trying to find some resolve for the situation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #20

3 weeks is far too young imo. I wonder how many of these tiny babies don't survive the anaesthetic?