Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Compulsory microchipping of cats and dogs...

http://www.cawg.org.uk/page.php?pid=30

Your views?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #2

Re: Compulsory microchipping of cats and dogs...

Definately a good idea, it would hopefully, lessen the number of strays and abandoned cats and dogs, make it a lot easier to reunite owner and pet ...... and result in fewer poor animals taken into Rescue.

Of course you will still have the problem of ferals ........ but definately all pet cats and dogs should be chipped.

I would also suggest a fine for any owner found to have deliberately abandoned their "pet"........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Good idea.

If I ruled the world (cue music) I would go further. I would have cat and dog 'licenses' or 'permits', which would come in at £50 per annum cats, £100 a year dogs. This would allow (enforce) 'free' neutering, at least one vet visit per annum and annual vaccinations and worm/flea/tick etc treatment. It would also give 'free' initial consultations (?up to 3 conditions per year) and (at end of life) free euthanasia and cremation. The vets would be given authority and responsibility for enforcement and fee collection, backed up by the force of law. The annual licence for unneutered animals would be huge - say £500, maybe more.
The figures would have to be looked at to ensure it stacked up - I think it could.

Now wouldn't that change things? Every cat a wanted cat, to amend an old slogan.

I'm really what this world needs - a benign dictator!

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #4

Hmmmm, I'm all in favour of compulsory microchipping and I wouldn't in theory be against your idea of a license too DM. But I wouldn't be impressed if I was forced to neuter my pets I breed from my Labs and it is always done absolutely to the letter and more, all health tests etc. etc. However, At the amounts you have quoted per license, I would save a fortune over the year taking into account all the inclusive benefits

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
26-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #5

I agree that compulsory chipping is a great idea. I wouldn't own an animal without a chip now anyway, but so many people still do.
I'm in agreement with Fran about the neutering though. There are good breeders out there who breed their animals exactly to the letter of the guidelines and to better the breed. I hope to be one of them too!
But a licence for pets isn't a bad idea.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #6

Hmm it's a difficult one I think. If you are going to let your cats out then yes, definitely, but for those with house cats who don't even get in to the garden then I'm not so sure. I have a low income and couldn't afford to pay for microchipping for my 3 or afford a licence fee, yet I will make sure that they have medical care if I have to eat beans for a month, so it would make it almost impossible for people in circumstances like my own to actually be able to have a pet at all!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #7

I think the animal charities should be able to turn their attention to helping people on low incomes/who fall on hard times/poor pensioners etc to have a pet. After all, they shouldn't be dealing with rescues/cruelty cases etc in anything like the numbers there are now, so will be able to work 'differently'

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #8

Compulsory microchipping would never work.

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Compulsory microchipping would never work.
Why do you think it wouldn't work Smudgely??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
26-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #10

Because I don't think people/breeders would get their pets done, yes the responsible ones would, but then they probably already do, the others wouldn't & how could they enforce it?