Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
17-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #21

Re: Cat with 2 faces?

I'm still with Rosie on this one.

You are all talking about that cat as if he has the same feelings and perceptions as a human. As much as we love our cats, they do NOT see things the same way we do.

Agree to a certain extent that "showing him off" is not very fair, but as I said in my post earlier - he will be LESS aware than a "deformed" or disabled human of the points and stares, so "so what?"

As for quality of life - he doesn't know any different. OK, so he sees like a horse and walks around in circles - but that is what he's used to.

He looks like a healthy happy and loved cat to me. Just because his deformity is obvious and unusual, how can we judge whether he has less quality of a life than a cat who has to have pills stuffed down it every day to stay alive (hyperthyroid, CRF) or has lost a limb?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
17-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #22

Got to agree with Rosie and LMC on this one, he "looks" like a very happy and healthy cat, apart from his disformaties.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #23

I agree with Rosie, LMC and Emma G.
I think he looks a very happy and loved cat, though I do not agree with the way the woman shows him off in shops and treats him like a freak show!

Catsey Veteran

17-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #24

I agree with Rosie and LMC, the cat is unaware that he is any differnet, if he were in pain due to his deformaties then I may have a different view but he doesnt apear to be in pain and is loved.
Think his owner is wacko for taking him shopping. What owner would take any cat shopping, deformity or not.
If the cat were a child would you all be screaming PTS, I dont think so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #25

Totally different, you can not compare a cat with a child.

I think this is going to be a thread whereby everyone is going to have to agree to disagree, after all it is only personal opinions being expressed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
18-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #26

Its NOT a child, you cannot compare the 2, no comparison, you have a duty to your Pets, they are not freak shows there for public entertainment!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
19-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #27

He looks very healthy and happy to me and I would not consider pts unless his quality of life was seriously compromised. I certainly do not agree that the owner shouyld be taking him shopping though.

Catsey Veteran

20-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #28

Ofcourse you have a duty to your pets and ofcourse he shouldnt be treated like a freak show, I never said that it was ok for the cat to be taken to the supermarket did I? No I didnt.
I can also make whatever comparisons I like, you dont have to like it or agree with it but please dont tell me what I CAN and CANNT do.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
20-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
I can't understand how anyone could let a blind dog or cat exist but people who have them say they are fine.

Just want to comment on this.

I am extremely offended by this particular comment. It insinuates strongly that people with blind pets are cruel.

My blind cat [ and mildly brain damaged ], does not just `exist`

She plays, runs around, does not bump into things because I took the time to let her know where everything is, bombed up and down stairs as fast and as safely as my other cats when I lived in a house which had stairs, [ all one level where I live now ], she is confident, mischievious, loving, and EXTREMELY HAPPY.

I also have three deaf dogs. One of those deaf dogs is also partially sighted and a tripod. They are all every bit as deserving of the content and very full lives that they have. One of my deaf dogs has been competing in agility for many years and loves it. One has recently started learning agility and loves it.

Saying what you said is cruel and demeaning to those of us who are far more enlightened about just how NORMAL animals with an `imperfection` are.

I am angry with myself for being a newbie here and coming on so strong, but to read the suggestion that animals like mine would be better off dead is sickening.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Just want to comment on this.

I am extremely offended by this particular comment. It insinuates strongly that people with blind pets are cruel.

My blind cat [ and mildly brain damaged ], does not just `exist`

She plays, runs around, does not bump into things because I took the time to let her know where everything is, bombed up and down stairs as fast and as safely as my other cats when I lived in a house which had stairs, [ all one level where I live now ], she is confident, mischievious, loving, and EXTREMELY HAPPY.

I also have three deaf dogs. One of those deaf dogs is also partially sighted and a tripod. They are all every bit as deserving of the content and very full lives that they have. One of my deaf dogs has been competing in agility for many years and loves it. One has recently started learning agility and loves it.

Saying what you said is cruel and demeaning to those of us who are far more enlightened about just how NORMAL animals with an `imperfection` are.

I am angry with myself for being a newbie here and coming on so strong, but to read the suggestion that animals like mine would be better off dead is sickening.
Well said!!!