Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #1

Cop out

Quote:
R S P C A : 0870 5555 999
Confidential 24-hr emergency phone line to report suspected animal cruelty or injured animals.
To locate an R S P C A branch, animal welfare centre, clinic or shop -click here-
however ... remember that stray animals taken to the RSPCA will often be killed if not rehomed.
Don't you think this is a cop out to stop people reporting things and I believe the RSPCA don't take in "strays" so not sure where that comes from. In other words if you report something and we take the animal in and it gets pts it is your fault.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
03-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #2

Re: Cop out

Or that if you do take an actual animal in to the RSPCA to be rehomed, they may have it pts, as the organisation does not rehome animals? This would discourage some people from trying to get the RSPCA to rehome their animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Don't you think this is a cop out to stop people reporting things and I believe the RSPCA don't take in "strays" so not sure where that comes from. In other words if you report something and we take the animal in and it gets pts it is your fault.
Yes, I agree. Unless it's to stop people claiming that their cat (which they no longer want) is a stray. Maybe the RSPCA thinks people will think twice about handing them over if they may be pts.
btw - do you know the number/proportion that are? I don't.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #4

if the need ever arose for me to re-home an animal ( hopefully never will) I would NEVEr tkae it to a rescue or shelter that ahd a PTS policy if no home found in a set amount of time, that doesnt seem like much of a "rescue" to me. Different if theyre poorly.

I've heard somuch against the RSPCA lately that I think i would be hesitant to call thema bout anything.

this sort of thing could possibly encourage more "dumping" of animals and less people willing to call them in.

other organsitaions seem far more "animal friendly" than RSPCA inmy opinion

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #5

All I know about the RSPCA is what I've learned here on CP...and now I know if I lived in the UK I would NOT call them!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
04-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #6

At least they are being honest, but so much for what the initials actually stand for - while it is a humane way to do things, it isn't giving most of them a chance. I didnt think we actually had an 'kill' shelters in the UK till I started reading some of the stuff about the RSPCA - but there are some good shelters, just a shame that the negative stuff is so negative. Here are some stats from 2000 - not sure if things have got better or worse since then

Dogs
Homed 26460
Destroyed 10123

Cats
Homed 44996
Destroyed 18961

Others
homed 24947
destroyed 59854

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
04-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #7

WHere is that a quote from?

RSPCA are useless, period!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #8

I went to an SSPCA centre years ago. It was an eye opener. Never again. As far as I'm concered they dont care. Yip they will take an animal but after that...................................there was a dog that could hardly walk as its nails were so long. I was told if I took it they would clip it's nails (surley that should have ben done as a matter of course) when I said I had children they wouldnt give her to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
05-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #9

I remember a few years ago a work collegue saw a stray dog wandering round the housing estate she lived on. It was really thin and dirty. She phoned the RSPCA and they told her if she can catch it then they'll come out but it'd be a few days before they could get someone out there so she'd have to look after it. If no one claimed it the dog would be PTS in 7 days I think they said. Well work collegue did catch her, kept her and she's the sweetest natured dog you'd ever meet

RSPCA are a waste of time IMO. Unless it's for publicity eg being on national tv etc they don't want to know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
At least they are being honest, but so much for what the initials actually stand for - while it is a humane way to do things, it isn't giving most of them a chance. I didnt think we actually had an 'kill' shelters in the UK till I started reading some of the stuff about the RSPCA - but there are some good shelters, just a shame that the negative stuff is so negative. Here are some stats from 2000 - not sure if things have got better or worse since then

Dogs
Homed 26460
Destroyed 10123

Cats
Homed 44996
Destroyed 18961

Others
homed 24947
destroyed 59854
Sorry I find this sort of figures totally misleading, what they fail to say is that some of these animals are actually PTS due to poor health due to the neglect of previous owners, or severe illness. Obviously if there are too many animals and not enough homes a lot of the older/less healthy animals are going to have to be PTS, to make way for the healthy animals.

I do believe that the RSPCA do a lot of good work, my local RSPCA has always been very good, and I do have experience of working there as I did some time doing the dog walking to help them.