Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
26-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #21

Re: Neutering too early......is it a good idea?

Hi Teenytiny.
I am a little confused (not difficult ) In another thread you said you have the father of the Cat that got killed? Then surely he wasnt neutered at 6mths and you had his son?

Just confused as I say, I may of missed something.
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggies
26-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #22

My cat Queenie was done at about 9 months after she had her kittens. Her son and daughter that I brought home where both done at 6 months, I was getting a little worried about how interested HE was in his sister but she wasn't having enything to do with him. There are in order Queenie is the original lap cat, in fact don't go to the loo with the door unlocked unless you want to get stuck on it with a cat on your lap, and if you move you get cat claws everywhere. Tippy has just got the idea of cuddles but really likes long chats, and hunts anything nickers slippers books you name it she "hunts" it. Socks is best friend with Lucy my collie, he is also the biggest cat and the biggest mommys boy, trouble is that when he goes to his mom for a cuddle he head buts her first at which point her temper goes faster than the speed of light and he gets thumped.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #23

This made interesting reading to me, as obviously Teddie and Cooper will need to be done soon. I will have Cooper done first as I don't think with the problems that Teddie has had, that she should be done too soon, as I'm worried about the effects of anasthetic with her. But as she is an indoor cat, delaying it a few months won't harm her any as long as Cooper is done (Broxi is already neutered)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Ginger & white, 1 black & white
26-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Hi Teenytiny.
I am a little confused (not difficult ) In another thread you said you have the father of the Cat that got killed? Then surely he wasnt neutered at 6mths and you had his son?

Just confused as I say, I may of missed something.
Dawn.

I had a female cat who was my cousins, and she came to me un-neutered. I then got a male cat who mated with my female cat ( they were separated but was 100% accidental mating ) but my male kitten was only 4mths old when he mated the female. He was neutered whilst the female was pregnant. We kept one of our females kittens who was my cat that got killed.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
27-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #25

Alex, do be careful as males can produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after being done. I would always advise the female to be done first.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
27-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenytiny
I had a female cat who was my cousins, and she came to me un-neutered. I then got a male cat who mated with my female cat ( they were separated but was 100% accidental mating ) but my male kitten was only 4mths old when he mated the female. He was neutered whilst the female was pregnant. We kept one of our females kittens who was my cat that got killed.
Ahh that explains it, very young though 4mths isnt it, randy so and so!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Ginger & white, 1 black & white
27-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Ahh that explains it, very young though 4mths isnt it, randy so and so!

Yep!!! We had a nightmare with him. He was trying to get out the house at 11wks old and we were sure he was after mating!!! I didnt worry too much when he mated with my female cat as I thought he was too young at 4mths...just goes to show you doesnt it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #28

I know this is an old thread - but I have recently been thinking about early neutering in terms of when I get my new little man in a few weeks.

My vets have said that they would do it earlier than 6 months, depending on how well his testicles were formed and dropped (). I will take him in for a check up and get their opinion once I have him home.

For now, I just wondered if anyone else had any views on early neutering?? Or is there anyone who has tried it with their cats??

The GCCF don't seem to think that there is a problem with doing it, as long as the right anaesthetic is used....

http://www.gccfcats.org/neuter.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #29

Charlie, I was worried at the amount of Raggie breeders that have there kittens spayed before going to pet homes. About 12 weeks and go home 13/14. I feel that's way too early. Yes they dont want them to be bred from but proof from a vet that it's been done is surely enough. Do they do the same down beside you? Oh and if you get a show girl the scar is done in a different place .

My little man will be neutered as soon as it becomes apparent he's developed .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
03-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Charlie, I was worried at the amount of Raggie breeders that have there kittens spayed before going to pet homes. About 12 weeks and go home 13/14. I feel that's way too early. Yes they dont want them to be bred from but proof from a vet that it's been done is surely enough. Do they do the same down beside you? Oh and if you get a show girl the scar is done in a different place .

My little man will be neutered as soon as it becomes apparent he's developed .
As far as I know it's not really done down here much at all. I know of a breeder that neuters before homing, but she keeps the kittens longer and has them neutered at about 5 months old.

Yes, any show girls should be spayed mid-line (i.e. underneath, on their tummies) rather than on the side - as the hair can grow back a darker colour