Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Mixed Breed
07-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Hi there...first owner with feral cat!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm so excited to have registered!!! I have just got onto the forum and will go through the threads to find any information needed on taming feral cats.

I owned cats when I was a young child but see myself as a first time owner. I brought Zanna home on Sunday - 5 days ago and am in desperate need of advice and support. My reason for bringing her home was because I have recently moved in on my own and wanted a companion to build a relationship with. I went up to a family farm and there were about 12 cats that were running round the sheds on the farm. They were being fed twice a day but interaction was limited. They were able to catch her when she came to feed.

I never saw her until I opened the box when I got home. She is about 3 months old and I must say very beautiful - I havent been able to take a good look at her but she has hazel eyes with grey and dark stripes. I was wondering if there was anyone who could walk me through the process of taming her. I will got through the threads as well.

I have not tried to touch or push myself onto her. She is using the cat box and eating well. She spends most of the time under things and yesterday she did move about a bit but I can see she is very nervous and scared. The trip was traumatic as she was in a box for 3 hours while I travelled home so I know with the change of enviro its very stressful. She calls to me often and is vocal. I answer back with a soft tone saying her name etc. I am just leaving her and waiting for her to begin to move around the flat and making more appreances before trying to get closer. Is this right? Do I need to anything more?

I would be so grateful for any advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Re: Hi there...first owner with feral cat!!!

Good luck with her, it may take a very long time if at all to rid her of her human fear due the age of her but its not impossible.
Liz would really be the one to talk you through this but in the mean time here's a good link.

http://www.cat77.org.uk/cat-care/taming-feral-kittens/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Yes, I was going to suggest Liz as she is Mum to many, many cats including ferals. In the meantime, welcome!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Hi and welcome to our forum Zanna - I don't have any experience of feral cats, but I must say that it sounds to me as if you are taking things calmly and slowly which is all you can do and wait for her or him to make the first move.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
08-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum and she is young enough to turn around in a shorter space of time

I have ferals ranging from 2 ish to 15 and my last years tamed down kittens all 6 of them and my latest 3 are a 3 legged feisty tabby Miss Maddison and her 2 friends Annie and and my baby Lennox he is about a year and in 5 months I can now pick him up and hug him and he gives me kisses and loved to be stroked and purrs up a storm

Feel free to pm me i would say a large dog crate with room for a bed, grit box and food is a good place to start or a small room with a couple of cardboard boxes for hidey holes

Also feather stick toys are a good place to play and lots of chopped up chiecken as treats

Cats owned: Mixed Breed
08-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
Welcome to the forum and she is young enough to turn around in a shorter space of time

I have ferals ranging from 2 ish to 15 and my last years tamed down kittens all 6 of them and my latest 3 are a 3 legged feisty tabby Miss Maddison and her 2 friends Annie and and my baby Lennox he is about a year and in 5 months I can now pick him up and hug him and he gives me kisses and loved to be stroked and purrs up a storm

Feel free to pm me i would say a large dog crate with room for a bed, grit box and food is a good place to start or a small room with a couple of cardboard boxes for hidey holes

Also feather stick toys are a good place to play and lots of chopped up chiecken as treats
Hi Liz,

I tried to pm you but it said your pm was full. I would be so so so so so grateful for any help or advice. I have so many questions to ask. I have included some below in the hope that you could advise me:

1. My flat is small and it is open plan with an arch diving living room/kitchen and bedroom/bathroom. I cant close up that arch and she moves from under the couch to under the bed. Must I get something to confine her in?

2. I am feeding her soft food twice a day which she eats when Im at work and after I have got into bed. She has dry food left out for her. Must I change anything?

3. She is very vocal and sometimes answers back when I call her. I always answer when she calls and she is very vocal at night and lately is moving around more at night.

4. I dont know what to do with approaching her...how long must I sit near her? What signs must I look out for to get closer? Its very hard because she is under things.

I read the link that a member so kindly posted for me, it says that you must make sure they can see you and stare past them and blink slowly then pretend your grooming yourself. Do I try only feed her from my hand? Should I take away her food and only bring it out when I try feed her? How long do you lie there and blink for?

I would be grateful for any advice and am so grateful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #7

Hi and welcome

All our cats were feral kittens All got from private rescues, most were trapped under the TNR (Trap, neuter, return) scheme. Adult cats are trapped and spayed/neutered and returned back to the areas they came from.

What she is doing is perfectly normal, it is a completely new environment for her, she is used to open unconfined spaces and now she is in a home which is totally alien to her. However being so young she will adapt. Just let her take things at her own pace. Once she gets more used to her surroundings she will begin to explore more and there is nothing more nosey than a kitten, curiosity will get the better of her

Our cats are free fed which means there is food+ water down all the time. It is up to you whether you want to have set meal times or not.

Most kittens charge around at night, any of ours have anyway. Knocking things over, getting into mischief

Folk like Liz give excellent advice.

Looking forward to photos

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
09-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #8

Sorry have emptied my in box

If she can be got in to a big dog crate with all the stuff I said it makes it easier for you to get to know her with feather sticks and she can see you and she will assciate with a safe place, I still have a kitten pen in my downstairs study with the door open and my 3 dogs crates often have cats in them with the dogs

The food is fine just make sure she has access to water with the dried food, we tend to feed the wet and dry so they can graze to their hearts content

I also leave a radio on something quiet to get them used to music and conversation

I also lie on the floor and read a book its quiet and you are at their height and they tend to become curious and thats when I feed the treats at this point by chucking chicken near them they tend to associate you with nice treats

She may be calling so that something to watch out for as she will need to be speyed at some point - calling can last up to 10 days if our darling rescue bengal is anything to go by

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Welcome Zanna from Beau and Joy