Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Black cat and tabby cat
27-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

New with questions....

Hi all!! I'm new, found this site through digest who are full if helpful people, so hoping for the same here please!!!!

5 months ago we brought home a puppy. Now our 2 cats have moved around a bit, but in the 2 previous homes have been around dogs and been fine.

With our tabby male, we have no problems. Pup will chase cat although we are trying to train out of this.

However black female, daisy just seems to hate pup. She swipes every given moment and pup knows to leave her alone.

Tonight pup was asleep on my oh, daisy came in, pup didn't even wake up and daisy swiped her. It was so uncalled for and I really don't know what to do with them? With previous dogs, daisy has been forward in coming over to say hello....so why doesn't she like our puppy?

Sorry and thanks in advance!! X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Re: New with questions....

How old is Daisy now? Could it be that maybe she is a little more intolerant with age?
My female often swipes the dog for no good reason. Alot of the time animals tend to sort out their differences in time. I know that's no real help but cannt think of much else at the moment.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

A warm welcome to Catsey!

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having with Daisy and your pup ...... I hope a few more cat and dog owners here will be able to give you their experiences.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #4

One of my cats, regularly gives the dogs thick ears, not for any reason other than he is the boss!

Cats owned: Black cat and tabby cat
28-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Daisy is three this year I believe. My OH got her before we were together, so I'm not exactly sure.

I have tried my best to get pup to leave them alone. But as I have found, I think it is just best they sort it out themselves. Puppy just wants to play, if she ever does catch up to a cat, she just sniffs. I can understand Daisy swiping while pup wants to play, but the poor little thing was just asleep!

Very strange. Daisy was fine around older dogs, so maybe when pup gets a bit older, differences may be resolved!

Thank you x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Maybe Daisy was just getting in there first before pup woke up or maybe getting pup back for an earlier incident
I'm fairly sure things will settle down given time.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
29-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #7

All 3 of my Border collies were brought in as puppies due to the Clan cats all 63 of the them and the dogs have been crate trained and this helps with the cats, I also let the ferals sort them out as puppies and now they are all friends and curl up together

Puppy needs to be taught to respect the cats,we also don't let the dogs up on the couches as this is the cats domain and they are fine