Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
07-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #1

Pippa has matted fur

pippa is my long haired rex aged 16 months she is a lovely cat until you try to groom her! she has so many knots i cut out a few, nowi have bought a ferminator so much hair coming out! but she only stands it for 2 mins then runs off nightmare any advice? she has sevral big matts on her tummy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

Re: Pippa has matted fur

Sorry lizziejayne - I've no experience of long haired cats.

Cats owned: Tortoiseshell
07-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Long haired cats often have matted fur and the only way to stop this from happening is to brush her every day. If the bunches of fur become too tight, it's possible to get the vet to do something about it. They usually sedate the cat and remove all the matted fur.

If you brush her just a little every day, she will eventually get used to it. Perserverance is the answer, but it can take quite a while ... and you'll probably end up with quite a few scratches along the way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

I have known people to use a stitch unpicker on large matts, obviously you have to be very careful and work at it over a number of days.

Catsey Junior

07-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

ive been trying just now i cut 2 small ones out and tried combing her but then she started growling

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
07-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #6

You will have to keep going until all the mats are out and then brush her on a daily basis. She may not like it and will growl, scratch and may even bite but you have to remain calm, be firm but gentle and under no circumstances to stop when she is growling etc but stop at a time when she is being good. If you stop grooming her because she growls at you she will soon learn what to do to stop the grooming. When you stop the grooming do not just let her go make a fuss of her without the brush/comb near you.

You could do with someone holdig her while you do her tummy but that person also needs to be calm. If you can safely cut out the bigger mats then do so but please try and tease the little ones out. It will give you experience and confidence and also get her used to being groomed.

If you are calm and confidant she will sense this just as if you are nervous, anxious and unsure she will pick up on this bad vibes and act the way she is doing.

How old is she?

Catsey Junior

08-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

she is blackies brother so 16months she s so swwet until you try to pull out the matts
she has 2 big ones on her tummy cant get them out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #8

You should cut out the 2 big ones but you will definitely have to have some one hold her. Then you need to set aside 15 mins a day to groom her. Pick a time when the house is at it's quietest and when Pippa is calm and not in a playful mood. Groom her for the full 15 mins then stop but don't stop before especially if she gets aggitated. Just keep going calmly and finish when she is in a good mood and not growling at you. She is still young so shouls get used to it.

I got an adult girl once who was three years old. She hated being groomed and when we got her she was really matted. She had done the same as Pippa and the previous owners had stopped when she growled. Consequently she soon learn't that if she growled the grooming stopped. I clipped her back and started grooming her daily. She soon came to accept it although she was never happy but at least I could get through her coat without her growling, scratching or biting.