Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Two "moggies".
08-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #1

Any Tips on Grooming My Fluffy Cat Who Hates It?

Hi there - I'm new to Catsey - have just posted one on the introductions and one in health (ear problem).

Another problem - below is a picture of one of my cats Meg - she isn't too fond of grooming (only when she feels like it and on her terms!). Recently she has got a large number of matted areas around her back end. If she is in a particularly good mood she will let me "get at her" with a sharp pair of nail scissors and remove them. Lately she has been a pain and won't let me near her. Any suggestions (I don't really want to have her sedated and shaved but will do so if needed). Any natural calming/sedating techniques available??

Thanks in advance, Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #2

Re: Any Tips on Grooming My Fluffy Cat Who Hates It?

Hi again Karen, we have a few Persian cat owners here who will be able to give you some tips, I'm sure. Hopefully they will be along soon to answer your question.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

What a lovely girl Meg is! Have you tried Rescue Remedy or a Feliway plug-in to help calm her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

Sellotape all 4 legs together Sorry only joking, having a similar problem with my fluffy butt cat too.
I am resigned to getting at it little by little and taking a few scratches for my efforts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #5

As above. Try sometimes grooming her without 'doing' the matted bits sometimes. Then she won't always associate grooming with the matt removal. One of my cats is a semi long but has a very fine coat and he gets quite matted in the same are. I use thinning scissors on it so he still looks as if he has the length but not the volume.

She is lovely. Torties are a favourite of mine.

CM

09-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #6

Thanks everyone - she does quite like to be groomed - especially when I am grooming the "boys" (dogs). It's only when I get around her butt end that she gets a bit iffy.

There only used to be the odd matt or two, but now a few more seem to have popped up. Every time I want to groom her she is never there and turns up when I am just about to go to work or go out! Cats eh?

09-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I took Meg back to the vets tonight as her ear problem (possible harvest mites) doesn't appear to be getting better and I have opted to have Meg sedated and the matts removed.

I feel like I have failed her and am a bit upset about it. She is six years old and I've never had this amount of matts before. As I mentioned in the previous post she likes to be groomed and when I am grooming the dogs she always gets in there. She is a very clean cat and is always cleaning and licking herself (not excessively though).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #8

Dont upset yourself, you havent failed her. Sometimes these things happen and atleast you are getting the issue sorted and not just leaving it as some people would.

11-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #9

I picked Meg up from the vets early yesterday afternoon - she didn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought she would in her coat. They only classed it as "light matting" on the vets bill which made me feel a whole lot better! I am now £120 poorer after 2 visits to the vets and a final visit on Saturday morning.

Meg has one of those lovely plastic collars which she tried desparately to remove when I bought her home yesterday. She managed to escape whilst I was closing the garage door and made off like a loony! Managed to capture her and she has now calmed down a lot. She was round my legs purring this morning so hopefully she has forgiven me!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #10

I'm sure Meg feels a lot better with her new 'hairdo' now!

How long does she have to wear the collar for?