Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #1

Claws

Soon I'll be taking Beauty back to the vets to have her claws trimmed. She doesn't need them doing right now, but she will soon! I'm phoning up this afternoon to get her an appointment to have them done.

If I could do them myself, I would (problem is I can't find the quick - you know, the bit of the claw that if you cut it it will start bleeding)

For future reference, whereabouts on the claw is the quick? I can't find it on Beauty's claws!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Re: Claws

The quick is easier seen if the cat has white claws, it shows up as pink inside the claw. It can be almost impossible to see if the cat has black claws.

The claw should never be clipped right down to the quick............. you can see the position of the quick here and also the correct way to clip the claws.

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
The quick is easier seen if the cat has white claws, it shows up as pink inside the claw. It can be almost impossible to see if the cat has black claws.

The claw should never be clipped right down to the quick............. you can see the position of the quick here and also the correct way to clip the claws.

I know that the claw should never be cut right back. I think you just cut off the very end, don't you?

I'll be getting the vet to cut her claws - Beauty's highly reluctant to show me her claws (she knows I spoil her - I think that's why)

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #4

Does she use a scratching post?

My two love theirs! There's a large square base to it, and I frequently have to hoover up HUGE chunks of claw. I never realised before, but it seems cats naturally shed the outer layer of a claw, like a very thin shell. I found one that was a good few layers to it, and it looked like a velocoraptor claw from Jurrasic Park! At first I was worried they shouldn't be shedding the entire outer layer of a claw but theyv'e been doing it sine I got them and they have very strong, healthy claws and still love using the scratching post.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I know that the claw should never be cut right back. I think you just cut off the very end, don't you?

I'll be getting the vet to cut her claws - Beauty's highly reluctant to show me her claws (she knows I spoil her - I think that's why)
I think you have pretty much answered your own question

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep

My two love theirs! There's a large square base to it, and I frequently have to hoover up HUGE chunks of claw. I never realised before, but it seems cats naturally shed the outer layer of a claw, like a very thin shell. I found one that was a good few layers to it, and it looked like a velocoraptor claw from Jurrasic Park! At first I was worried they shouldn't be shedding the entire outer layer of a claw but theyv'e been doing it sine I got them and they have very strong, healthy claws and still love using the scratching post.
I think that's normal, meep; I've always found shed bits of claw, some very large and double layered, as you say. Leia keeps hers in excellent shape; have never trimmed, but did all the others except Patches, who shrieked like a banshee, thrashed wildly and insisted I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #7

Yes the outer "shell" of the claw being shed is normal meep and yes, it does look like something from Jurassic Park, but much smaller!

Merlin keeps his front claws perfectly well on his scratching post and I've never had to trouble with them. It's his hind claws that now cause a bit of a problem. I managed to get the vet to trim one side for him before his cyst operation and I was very glad this was done as he did not have two scimitar-like weapons to scratch at his face with after the collar was taken off - he still has two very long claws on the other side though and made such a fuss - just like dandysmom describes, that I hesitate to take him back for the other side to be done. I can hear him clattering about on our laminate kitchen floor!

Catsey Veteran

06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep

She doesn't use a scratching post as such, she scratches part of the fence that she lies down on (sometimes) and she'll scratch the carpet. She has difficulty reaching up vertically to scratch.

Catsey Veteran

06-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I think you have pretty much answered your own question
Like I've just said, I can't find the quick I've tried to get Beauty to let me see her claws but she isn't having it (I dare say she'll be more than happy to oblige showing her claws to the vet - she gets them out while she's trying to escape out the door, she seems to find it easier landing with them out a little)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #10

They do make horizontal scratchers; she might find one of those easier to use.....