Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
27-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #1

Jet's Tuft of Hair

Have noticed Jet has a tuft of matted hair on her back. I have tried to comb it out and have resorted to pulling (gently) the loose hair from it but it hasnt cleared up.

I have checked under the hair as i thought it may be a cut or a lump but it is clear and she reacts if i touch the area, gives a wee cry. It is on a part or her back she cant reach to lick at it.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it, dont want to cut it.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
27-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #2

Re: Jet's Tuft of Hair

Our wee one, Chaska, used to get a matted bit of hair on her back as she had no other cat to groom her and she couldn't reach that part.

It could be sore to touch as the matt is pulling tight on the skin? It is really hard to examine closely. I just cut Chaska's off myself when she was eating food and sitting still; but she didn't yelp out in pain if I touched it. The fact that Jet is would lead to me to think you maybe shouldnt do this. But i'm not sure if it's worthy of a visit to the vets?

He is short-haired yes? Maybe try and start gromming him more? Teasing out the matt bit by bit is the only way to get rid of it barr cutting it off.

Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
27-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #3

Is Jet an older cat, my oldies have started to get matted bits I have to either comb out ( when they let me) or cut off. I think it is because they are getting a bit stiffer and can't reach the areas they used to.

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
28-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #4

Jet is 4 and is fairly active.

She is short haired and I had her at Vet last year with hairballs so do regularly groom her, when she lets me.

Originally I thought she had lay in something but the matted hair has been there 2 weeks now.

Will just try and comb it out gradually rather than cut it out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5

Just a thought Andrew - try a damp sponge or cloth to ease whatever it is off that might just help if, as seems likely, the matted tuft is pulling on Jet's skin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #6

I suspect it's pulling on her skin also, which would explain why it hurts her when you touch it. Why are you reluctant to cut it, may I ask? The semi-longhaired cat I grew up with was prone to mats; my Mom always carefully cut them out with a small pair of scissors. He'd get them around his armpits as he didn't like his tummy groomed......

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
29-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #7

I was gonna attack it last nite with the scissors but wasnt too sure how far down to the skin I should try and get it but was afraid Jet would move suddenly and I would end up cutting the skin !!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
29-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #8

I was the same with Chaska's tuft, andrew! Basically, I gave her a really yummy treat that I knew she'd love, so she'd sit still eating that, then i'd very gently lift up the tuf and rather than put the whole tuft between the scissors and snip one, only use the tip and gently snip at either side bit by bit. It took two sittings to do, but doing it this way didn't seem to bother her, and if she did move suddenly, there was no real danger of cutting her as it was only the tip of the scissors.

Good luck!

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
29-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

Was home at lunch time, give Jet some prawns and was gonna snip it off but she was nervy with me standing behind her and wouldnt eat (she will never eat if I am in the same room as her !!), as soon as I touched her she went and hid under the table and wouldnt go near the prawns until I left the dining room.

Will try again this weekend.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #10

Poor Jet. I think if you hovver over her waiting for the chance, she can sense that all is not what it should be. You may just have to catch her when she least expects a thing.
Good luck xxx