Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
14-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Bought my first Grooming Brush - How to...?

My boys aren't long haired, but they do seem to shed everywhere And the other day one of the poor boys had a wee wheeze and then a wee hairball.

So, I went out and bought a cat grooming brush. The petshop didn't have much choice, so I got an ergo Gromming Range Slicker Brush.

It says its made with stainless steel pins, and also:

"Slickers have sharp filaments to enable them to "cut" through the coats and therefore shoud be used with care, especially on young pets and pets with short coats".

The word cut definately made me Now I will of course be gentle, but this really was the only brush there for cats (there were plenty for dogs!

So, does anyone have any advice? Have I perhaps bought the wrong brush? (It does specify for cats, not just 'pets'). The boys are quite 'fluffy' despite not being long haired, if that makes sense, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be wary of, avoid, or whether having a 'sharp' brush is perfectly normal?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
14-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2

Re: Bought my first Grooming Brush - How to...?

One word.......Furminator!!! There brilliant. They do cost a bit but you can get them on line and well worth every penny.

Almost a Veteran Member

14-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Thanks Jac I actually saw angieh's thread on Merlin moulting and read through it till I came to the link for the FURminator and the previous thread here (or raving review!) for it! SO I've already had a look on eBay and have PM'd Dave, a member here who sells them on eBay - so I'm pretty much half way there to ordering one Bought myself some nice hair products online today already (MOP) so if I wait till tomorrow, the guilt can be spread out a bit over two days

Almost a Veteran Member

14-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

Note: the MOP hair products are for myself, not the cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
14-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Haha I know what you mean! Ive spent so much money since I got back from my holidays I'm almost afraid to look at the bank

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #6

"Bought myself some nice hair products online today already (MOP) so if I wait till tomorrow, the guilt can be spread out a bit over two days"

I do recommend the Furminator - although have to say that Merlin has such a short coat, I didn't get that much off him. Now of course, after his op, he has a couple of "shaved bits" and I can't wait for them to grow again! Perhaps you could send him some of Darcy and Minsky's loose fur to cover up his bald bits?!!!

New business opportunity for someone? CATWIGS?

Almost a Veteran Member

14-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #7

One wee furminator won't break the bank or so I keep telling myself.

I also bought them alongside the brush some dried catnip and Nature's Menu meat treats. I just can't help myself, it makes them so happy

Almost a Veteran Member

14-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh

I do recommend the Furminator - although have to say that Merlin has such a short coat, I didn't get that much off him. Now of course, after his op, he has a couple of "shaved bits" and I can't wait for them to grow again! Perhaps you could send him some of Darcy and Minsky's loose fur to cover up his bald bits?!!!

New business opportunity for someone? CATWIGS?
CATWIGS?!

Awh wee Merlin! Cuddles for him! I would be more than happy to package some up for you, as right now looking at my jumper alone from when I purely stroked Darcy this morning, there's probably enough already for a few wee catwigs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #9

I hadn't seen this thread when I posted my comments about the Furminator on your other one. I'm delighted you're going to get one, cannot reccommend it too highly!

Almost a Veteran Member

14-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #10

Ok, I caved and pretty quickly (in about 3 hours?)

I ordered mine off eBay I found a small one for a slightly cheaper price than other sellers, but I am so looking forward to it arriving and trying it out on the boys! The more I think about it, the more I realise that they are pretty darned furry!