Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: heinz 57
29-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #1

soft claws

has any one tried these on thier cats??? do they work? thought i might give them a go, not because the cat destructively scratches but because every time he has a mad run around he adds another scratch to our new leather sofa??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #2

Re: soft claws

I have seen them and dont really aprove tbh. I worry also what damage they may do to their real claws.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
31-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

I wonder what would happen if the cat swallowed them...
It is far better than declawing though and perhaps this is good for training cats that scratch no to...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
31-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

A lot of the Americans use them and from what I have heard at another cat site with great success ! A lot of the web pages answer a lot of your worries, so its also worthwhile checking out what the manufacturers / sellers of soft claws have to say. Theres also another one called softpaws. Lets face it, it is like 100 gazillions times better than even thinking about declawing, which I know this was not one of your thoughts anyway.

They are glued on but as you know cats shed their nail 'skins' thats one reason why they scratch to help remove the old nail skin. So the soft claw just sheds with the natural one So theres an extra cost as you need to keep replacing them.

The main issue is getting them on your cat - if you have regularly trimmed your cats nails then he will be used to having his claws messed with. If not, well thats another matter. I wouldnt dream of putting them on one of my cats, I dont want any scars on my face

Deciding to use them is obviously up to you but like anything else it takes time and patience.............oh and money

Let us know how you go on if you do decide to have a go ! Good luck !!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #5

I have rather negative feelings about them, especially as I cannot imagine trying to put them on Leia! But haven't really done any research on them. If you go for it, do let us know.

01-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #6

I bought some soft claws to give them a go I managed to get them on with a bit of patience - (I have been trimming sylvesters nails and he just gets a bit fed up half way through). that was yesterday, and this morning 3 of them have come off - it may be because I didn't get them on right - they don't seem to bother him too much. The jury is out as yet you get 40 in a pack so I will see how we get on!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #7

oooo any photos - did you get the coloured ones, they look pretty cool in those

01-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #8

no photos yet but will get some - I got blue ones - much to my daughters disgust!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
02-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #9

I really hate the idea of them - I would be a bit worried if they come off so easily as well incase the cat swallows them. Scratching is such a natural behaviour for cats - I have 5 cats and a leather suite they don't seem to cause any damage to it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm
I really hate the idea of them - I would be a bit worried if they come off so easily as well incase the cat swallows them.

After Misty's episode of swallowing stuff she shouldnt, I would be rather worried of this too.