Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
26-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #1

How often do you bathe your cat?

I feel accomplished~

I just gave Honey a bath, and now he smells of coconut. ;D The cat shampoo I got is 'tropical mist' scented apparently.

He was well-behaved as usual (he doesn't scratch or try to escape, just looks immensely shocked), and let me comb him afterwards too without a fuss (whilst he re-cleaned himself.)

But when I finished bathing him, he got out of the bath - but was soaking. So I needed to hold him over the bath to get the excess water off of him, but he thought I was putting him back in - causing him to spontaneously run up my arms and onto my shoulder. o_o

So I was soaking wet, walking around the house with a shivering cat on my shoulder. XD

I was wondering how often y'all bathe your cats? I know that most people rarely do, if ever - usually only if the cat has become exceptionally filthy, right?

I groom Honey at least three days a week (he's semi-longhaired and has a very fluffy tail which is prone to little tangles) and I bathe him every 2-3 months.

I enjoy grooming animals immensely, and he's so tame and well-behaved that it makes me job wonderfully easy. Also, it means that if in the future he desperately needs a bath for any reason, he'll be much more prepared for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
26-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #2

Re: How often do you bathe your cat?

My cats are Persians. I tend to bathe the ones I don't show as and when needed. The ones I show are bathed every week. Apparently it encourages the hair to grow and thicken. My stud cat who I no longer show has to be bathed every month as he has very bad stud cat tail.
After bathing they all get dried with a hairdryer so there is no chance of catching a chill specially in the winter. I tend to bathe the kittens I breed at least twice before they go to their new homes. This is so it isn't a new experience as most Persians will need a bath at sometime in their life.

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
26-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #3

I can imagine! Do your persians cope with bathing well? I love persians but grooming must be a work load.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
26-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
My cats are Persians. I tend to bathe the ones I don't show as and when needed. The ones I show are bathed every week. Apparently it encourages the hair to grow and thicken. My stud cat who I no longer show has to be bathed every month as he has very bad stud cat tail.
After bathing they all get dried with a hairdryer so there is no chance of catching a chill specially in the winter. I tend to bathe the kittens I breed at least twice before they go to their new homes. This is so it isn't a new experience as most Persians will need a bath at sometime in their life.
I didn't know that Kay I'll start bathing Lily more often - I'm sure she'll thank you!!! lol

I bath Lily only every few months - just when she looks like she needs it rather than as a routine.

I don't bath the others, but I have had to wash Red's feet before!!! He was not pleased and I'm going to have to do it again before his next show!!

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #5

They aren't too bad their natures are generally very laid back which helps. It's the drying thats the hardest bit especially their tummies. They are very sensitive there. The grooming isn't as bad as people think as long as you keep on top of it. I advise my new owners just 15-mins a day should keep everything in order. Gets a lot when you have 11 though but like you I loove it. I think it is really relaxing.

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I didn't know that Kay I'll start bathing Lily more often - I'm sure she'll thank you!!! lol

I bath Lily only every few months - just when she looks like she needs it rather than as a routine.

I don't bath the others, but I have had to wash Red's feet before!!! He was not pleased and I'm going to have to do it again before his next show!!
That is what they do in America and there Persians have stunning coats. Mind you the have air conditioning as well which helps keep a constant temperature. It's worth a try.

Thanks for the card Charlie it is absolutely gorgeous.

Catsey Senior

Darky is Male
26-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #7

I used to have four guinea pigs, one which was part sheltie, so I think that's where my love of grooming comes from. XD They were bathed one a month, a pair every two weeks, and thoroughly combed and brushed.

Plus I used to bathe my rat Isaac (RIP) regularly as he had breathing problems and the cleaning of his nose and the bathing really helped.

It really is very relaxing! Though Honey may think otherwise.

Plus there's nothing better than cuddling a wonderfully soft, recently bathed cat.

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darky
Plus there's nothing better than cuddling a wonderfully soft, recently bathed cat.
I have to agree there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #9

I have never ever bathed a cat...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #10

I used to bathe (well, shower) the persians when they were younger. Now, Fifi only gets washed if she's got a claggy waggy

Neither especially like it and I have been scratched, not deliberately, but they used my leg as traction for their claws

I used to hairdrier them but they got SO stressed that I just towel them dry well and truly and then keep them in a warm room if it's cold.