Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: British Blue
25-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Mum grooming kittens, is she too rough?

My house mates cat had 3 beutiful kittens , they are now 3 weeks old..
Portia the mum has been brilliant over the last few weeks. Now they are walking around and mum grabs them to clean them. We're worried she may be a little too rough as she kicks them in the back while shes holding them round the neck They squeal really loudly.

Also one of them has a slightly weepy eye but is happy and growing as fast as the rest. Is that a problem?

3rdly and lastly(!) we're wondering when a good time is to put them on solids.. the vet said 3 weeks... so should we seperate them from mum seeing as we're only gonna be able to keep 1

Thanks as always
Caroline

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #2

Re: Mum grooming kittens, is she too rough?

Hi Caroline.
We had the 'rough mummy' question quite recently. Here's the thread with Fran's experienced reply
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php... with+kittens
The eye? Well kittens do get infections fairly easily. He may need antibiotic drops from the vet eventually but you could try bathing it with cooled boiled water with a little salt added and see if that helps.
Solids? - I don't know through experience - never had kittens. There are various threads with different people's experience. I think some take to it early but some are quite slow. Fran may be your best bet again, or Smudgley. Sure somebody will come along to give you some advice soon.

Cats owned: British Blue
25-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #3

thanks a lot perfect, seems like its quite natural seeing as others have had this problem
cheers x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
20-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #4

when Millie had kittens I put down solid food after 4 weeks and let them make there mind up if they wanted to eat it..I think it was about 6 weeks before they finale started to eat it ...they are a bundle of fun at that age

john >^..^<

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black & White & All Black & kittens
20-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #5

My kitties where given the choise of solid food from approx 3 weeks, the eldest litter tried them then, but the youngest 2 didn't start eating solids till they were over 4 weeks old.

chris xx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
20-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #6

i hope everyones advice has helped you