Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
02-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #1

Winter Coat

Now its getting warmer, Jet seems to be losing her winter coat, there is hair everywhere, more than usual. I cant touch her I end up with a handful of hair.

I dont know whether to brush her, she isint too keen on it and she had some dandruff on her back which the vet told me to leave alone as brushing it would only irritate the skin.

Anyone got any ideas of the best way to groom without irritating her coat or maybe I should just live with the problem of hair in my food, in my drink or be like Molly and get her completely shaved, lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: Winter Coat

It's that time of year I'm afraid Andrew! Everything is moulting here I often find that when the dogs moult they get a little dandruffy, so I wouldn't worry too much at all. I'd be inclined to gently brush her and you'll help get rid of the winter coat a lot quicker

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #3

Thanks, might give it a go but she reacts as if I am attacking her with a fork.

Maybe a few gentle strokes a few times a week to get her used to it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #4

What about a grooming mit rather than a brush Andrew? I have one and it's a glove that you put on to groom them with, mine love it....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #5

And there's also a rubber thingy for grooming; can't think of the name of it. It's about the size of the back of a human hair brush and has little rubber projections all over which trap the excess hair without actually going into the coat, as a brush or comb would. Mine seem to like it, but then they like being brushed too...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

I often put on rubber gloves (like Marigold ones) when I groom Cassie ...... it brings off lots of loose hair without the risk of scratching her.

I got the idea from the Cattery, they go round all the pens daily with the rubber glove treatment

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #7

Or even just stroking her firmly with damp hands. I pick up a lot more hair off Rover when I do that, than with the comb, and it doesn't remove any of the undercoat (so the dandruff should be left alone as well).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #8

Andrew, here's a link to and a pic of the the rubber grooming thingy I was trying to describe...http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=3058

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #9

Thanks for that, took a look, it dosent seem as if it would irritate the coat. Might see if I can get a cat mit.

Will try a few pet shops in the next few days to see what I can get.

Catsey Junior

andrew021 is Male
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #10

I took a look at some internet pet shops. The was one which charges P&P to UK Mainland as £3.65 but to Northern Ireland as £11.65, an extra £8.00 to deliver across the Irish Sea !!