Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
20-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #31

Re: Clipping nails

I have to admit to never having trimmed/clipped either of my girls' claws. Luckily they both do a lot of scratching (Miw on the scratching post like a good girl, Mousie on the kitchen table leg like the imp she is!) so their claws aren't too bad.

I think Mousie would probably sit quietly and allow us to clip her claws.......she's very easy-going and used to sitting still for medication and blood tests, so claw clipping would be a breeze.

Miw, however........I don't think I'd dare to even try! As it is, we need 3 people and full body armour just to do her monthly flea treatment, and that's just a little drop on the back of her neck LOL!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
LOL! Patches always thrashed like a wild thing and let out bloodcurdling screams that I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic...but she was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her and had never had her claws clipped....and never would! I gave up...that, or A & E!
That's how I feel, but she is still young and such a little madam - I feel I should not give up just yet (so far it is 80:20 to her I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
I have to admit to never having trimmed/clipped either of my girls' claws. Luckily they both do a lot of scratching (Miw on the scratching post like a good girl, Mousie on the kitchen table leg like the imp she is!) so their claws aren't too bad.

I think Mousie would probably sit quietly and allow us to clip her claws.......she's very easy-going and used to sitting still for medication and blood tests, so claw clipping would be a breeze.

Miw, however........I don't think I'd dare to even try! As it is, we need 3 people and full body armour just to do her monthly flea treatment, and that's just a little drop on the back of her neck LOL!
That reminded me - I had the same problem when we did her flea treatment. OMG I have a monster!!

Honestly of all the cats I have ever shared my life with she is the most determined, cussed, sweet, loving, single minded, quirky one I have ever known. A beautiful, little fluffy challenge!

Maybe once she starts to go out she'll keep them short enough for me not to bother with (x's fingers and pleads)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #33

Merlin's front claws have never been a problem as he uses his scratching post and looks after them himself. We only really noticed how long his hind claws were after we had laminate flooring put down in our new kitchen about 18 months ago as they clatter when he walks! Luckily, before he had the op to remove his cyst, I asked the vet to clip the ones on that side so that any scratching he might do to the op site would not be so disastrous. He definitely put up a fight, struggled and cursed - but at least he only clattered on one side until they grew again!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #34

Now that you mentioned rear claws, I wonder how Leia keeps hers so sharp and not long, as she doesn't go outside. I just looked at her feet to her annoyance and the back claws are short and very pointy...how does she keep them like that?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Now that you mentioned rear claws, I wonder how Leia keeps hers so sharp and not long, as she doesn't go outside. I just looked at her feet to her annoyance and the back claws are short and very pointy...how does she keep them like that?
No idea how they do it. Alfie has very short back claws to. Kinsi just seems to have long claws for her size - hopefully she'll grow into them. I used to have a cat - Max - who chewed his claws!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #36

I think what you mean by chewing their claws is when they pull off the old claw sheath. I often find one lying about the house; guess that's how Leia keeps hers short, although I've never seen her doing it. But have seen the former cats doing it occasionally .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #37

Yes Merlin "chews" his toenails (as I call it) and often I find the discarded sheaths lying about. I expect the new ones underneath are much sharper!