Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #21

Re: Clipping nails

Do they use the scratching post a lot? Leia is indoors only, but keeps her claws well sharpened, so have never had to clip them (thank God!) But my others that were laxer at sharpening needed it oh, maybe once every month or six weeks, when I could catch them and do it...much screaming, thrashing and loud lamentations!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #22

Hubby and I clipped Bliss' paws the other evening to get her used to having it done for showing. She was a dream bless her, I held her, hubby clipped but tbh one of us could have managed on our own, she never batted an eye lid, just layed purring throughout

Cats owned: Domestic S/H
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #23

Never been able to do Smokey's claws myself as he goes absolutely mental if I try, but twice a year he goes to a wonderful cattery while I am on holiday, and the lady that runs it does them - he doesn't turn a hair, sits there purring at her!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
22-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #24

I also clip my lots claws with the normal nail clippers.
Sit their bums on my knee, long sleeved thick jumper on to protect my arms lol, front paws over my arm.
Then take a paw and squeeze gently just below the toes and the claws show themselves quite willingly then its a case of fast clipping before the cats get unwilling

Sarah
x

Cats owned: Domestic S/H
22-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #25

Just tried your method with Smokey. Now have teeth marks in hand where he bit me! He's sat at the side of me now, glaring and thrashing his tail. Not one claw cut. Going to be a coward and leave it to cattery lady! Many thanks for advice anyway.

PS I truly believe that he is slightly off kilter mentally. I've had cats all my life and never one like him before.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
19-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #26

Gave both the kittens a nail trim yesterday, WOW so easy, I was well impressed. What prompted me to do it was the fact yesterday morning one of the kittens jumped up on my knee tho didnt make it and managed to scratch my arm two 3" scratches to show for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #27

I have always managed to cut their nails without much problem - until Kinsi. She went completely mad. You would have thought I was trying to amputate to hear the fuss. She seems to have very long claws, they catch on the rug. I now need to have OH hold her while I do the deed. You'd never believe such a ding dong from something so small and cute!

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #28

Usually starting them as kittens works; they get used to it. Sounds as if Kinsi is the exception, bless her!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Usually starting them as kittens works; they get used to it. Sounds as if Kinsi is the exception, bless her!
Can't say that was my thoughts when she was trying to shred any part of my skin she could reach

Catsey Veteran

19-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #30

LOL! Patches always thrashed like a wild thing and let out bloodcurdling screams that I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic...but she was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her and had never had her claws clipped....and never would! I gave up...that, or A & E!