Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
08-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #1

Clipping nails

does anyone have tips for clipping kitties nails? Ravens are so bad that when he plays with toys they sometimes get stuck and he cries until we unattach him poor fella. his nails have been like it since we got him, but he has taken such a long time settling in properly that i didnt want to scare him by trimming his nails! this past week he has made so much progress though, and he will now come and nudge us for attention and purrs just as much as AJ(which is ALOT! ) and hes even "kneaded" when we have fussed him a few times!

any tips greatly appreciated!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #2

Re: Clipping nails

In order not to undo any of the progress he has made thus far, I'd take it slowly. Even if you only get one claw trimmed tonight and another tomorrow, if thats all he will let you do before getting stressed. Give him a wee treat or make a fuss of him for being good.
Winston was never a problem and was always good as gold, letting me do almost anything to him. The Diva gets highly stressed and I am lucky if I can get one claw clipped in a week. Bernie is not too bad but can be a bit of a wriggle bum so we tend to wrap him in a towel with one leg free at a time. Again it can take me a few days to get them all trimmed. I only nip off the very ends coz i am frightened of hurting them. I dont need to trim them often as they like to scramble over the small dividing wall in the garden which helps to wear them down a good bit. Good luck.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #3

Cassie won't let me clip hers so I let the vet do it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #4

All 3 of mine let me do it to them. Never had any fuss from them at all. I just sit on the couch with their bottoms to the back of it and put one arm over and under them to hold them in place, and grab a paw and clip!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #5

I've found that if you start them ass kittens they adjust very well; older cats can be impossible. Patches was 1 1/2 when I re-homed her, I was lucky to get 3 claws clipped a week! Threshing and agonized screams that I was amputating her toes!! Without anaesthetic!! Talk about a Diva!

Catsey Veteran

08-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Threshing and agonized screams that I was amputating her toes!! Without anaesthetic!! Talk about a Diva!
Thats sounds exactly like my Eva the Diva

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #7

And guess who I was thinking of when I used that expression...????

Catsey Veteran

08-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #8

Her reputation preceeds her LOL

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 gorgous mogs
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #9

my cats dont mind at all they just lay upside down on my lap and i just clip away with ordinary nail clippers actually i was doing that last night they were due for a trim lol.
tracy

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby BSH and 1 Black and White B
02-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #10

Alfie goes to the vets to get his done. He didnt mind at first but the past two times he has been a little s o d though.