Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
22-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #41

Re: Claws

I trim the ends of both my boys' nails. As they are inside only they don't need them for climbing. Although not long, they do become very sharp and get caught in soft furnishings and clothes. They don't cause any damage really but Thomas can get quite distressed when his claw won't come out out of the sofa he has just climbed on to.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 x rescue cats
24-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #42

I don't think the sharpness matters so much as the length - it's only if they can't retract their claws fully then they need clipping IMO. Snowy's claws are always needle sharp, but she keeps them in trim with the scratching post and they never seem to catch on furniture/carpet when she's wandering around. I've never needed to trim Molly or Rug's claws either.

Jenny has always been a bit lazy about keeping her claws down, have had to clip them every couple of months for several years. I tend to try to wait until she's sat by me and very relaxed so I don't have to pin her down, but she really doesn't like it - by the time I get to the second or third foot she's making grumpy-cat noises at me, but I still try to get it all over and done with in one go if she's not wriggling too much - if I did one or two claws at a time I'm worried she'd get paranoid thinking I was "attacking" her with something nearly every time I saw her(hairbrush, clippers, pill, stronghold, vet... I need to pick her up just to cuddle her occasionally!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
24-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #43

Sharpness only matters to my skin. Dislike bleeding scratches.
I agree that the length must be held in check, either by the cat or by the minder.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
24-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #44

Hmm, maybe it is the length as well - I don't cut their claws on their back feet every time though. Thomas stands up at the window to look out sometimes though. Normally he gets his head under the net curtains - but not always. He doesn't try to scratch the nets but gets his front claws caught and gets upset when he can't get them out (he ripped the nets once).

But yes, also because his massages are a bit painful sometimes with sharp points!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
08-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #45

Leo now has to have his claws clipped - it is due to his age and the fact that he no longer climbs the fence to go out of the garden - prefers to stay at home like an oldman

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: domestic
01-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #46

I cut all 10 of my cats nails myself. I just cradle them in my arms and cut away. They just lay there while I do it. One of my cats I have to take to the bathroom and set her up on the sink and cut them that way. I have always cut my cats claws myself. I tried it with the help of my hubby but it was worse that way so I went back to doing it myself. I only cut the back ones every once in awhile,but the fronts I do anytime they get long and sharp.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
01-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #47

I have a phobia of nails and clipping and such, so I feel lucky to have a cat that does not need trimming. (Had enough trouble with my guinea pigs, I think I squealed more than they did.)

I couldn't ever see myself clipping a kitty's claws unless there was a problem that had no other solution, personally. Honey doesn't really scratch the furniture, and when playing he is never rough with his claws - and he stops when I tell him to.

(Unlike Spike, who would gladly pull my arm off if I let him.)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Dollfaced persian British shorthair
24-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #48

Hehe can you imagine a cat filing their nails :L!! Did you know that cats can be declawed? I found out in a cat book! I think it's terrible myself! Could you tell me your feelings??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzy Mii
Hehe can you imagine a cat filing their nails :L!! Did you know that cats can be declawed? I found out in a cat book! I think it's terrible myself! Could you tell me your feelings??
Declawing is illegal in the UK as it is a very painful and barbaric thing to do and all in the name of saving soft furnishings. Causes the cat untold pain and discomfort both physically and mentally. If people want a pet that doesnt scratch, I suggest they get a goldfish.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Dollfaced persian British shorthair
24-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Declawing is illegal in the UK as it is a very painful and barbaric thing to do and all in the name of saving soft furnishings. Causes the cat untold pain and discomfort both physically and mentally. If people want a pet that doesnt scratch, I suggest they get a goldfish.
i know it is discracefull the way that some animals are treated! why would someone do that to a living thing? i am totally against it myself!