Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #1

Claws

Does anyone here cut their cat's claws themselves?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #2

Re: Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Does anyone here cut their cat's claws themselves?
No Mags...Lucky needed hers doing, had to leave it to the vet as I felt too nervous to do it even though I do my puppies when they are about a week old

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #3

Me with nail clippers

Global Moderator

13-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #4

I'm the same as you Fran...bit nervous of doing it. I know Cassie would not let me do it anyway. So will the vet do it if you ask?

Kazz, I would imagine Cleo was very good to let you clip her claws.....how do you go about holding her?

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I'm the same as you Fran...bit nervous of doing it. I know Cassie would not let me do it anyway. So will the vet do it if you ask?

Kazz, I would imagine Cleo was very good to let you clip her claws.....how do you go about holding her?
Yes Mags, the vet will do it for you. Are Cassies claws very bad then? Does she not use a scratch post or the trees outside?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
13-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #6

I have never cut or had my cats claws trimmed, they do it on their scratchy pole..............

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I have never cut or had my cats claws trimmed, they do it on their scratchy pole..............
Lucky is the only one of my cats ever to have a problem. I put it down to her age. She also struggled to retract her claws too..

Global Moderator

13-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #8

She uses a scratching pole indoors and the bird table ( ) outdoors. In fact she is always scratching away on something
I asked because her claws seem extremely sharp and are always catching on things. Hubby says to go over them with a nail file Men!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #9

Hold her I don't hold her to do anything, she settles I approach with clippers in hand grab her foot snip away to the nail I want, and then all done.

I started doing them about 7 years ago when she was about 16, I noticed she had one nail that kept growing so I snipped it I occasionaly do them all now over a 2 week period when needed you can hear her cliping on the laminate, and I know its time she seems to not retract them fully I put this down to age. I never did Oz's because he was always out and about up tree's etc right to the end. But Cleo has never been a out and about cat really. More of a firespaniel than great hunter.

Karen

Karen

Catsey Veteran

13-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #10

Actually Mags a nail file is what the vet suggested to me...not such a bad idea if she will tolerate it