Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
17-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

What causes Nystigmus?

I was driving home on Monday and passed what I thought was a dead cat at the roadside, sometimes you know their deffenatly dead but this one looked fresh and had not been there the day before so I stopped and got out with the intention of at least moving it off the road, however the poor thing lifted its head and tried to claw the ground with little success. I drove straight to the vet who on exemining it found no signs of trauma, no blood no fractures no grazes, nothing to cause it to be sick. Its symptoms were Nystigmus which is ticking in the eyes from side to side but he said that this poor cat had the worst kind which is ticking round in circles. It also appeared to be blind and could not contol any movement of its limbs.
he made it comfortable and kept it in over night but it made no sign of improvement and was an unneutered male with no chip or collar, so no owner and in such bad shape we decided to pts.
I would like to know what might cause this if it was not a road accident or head trauma.
the only other thing the vet mentioned was dog flea treatment but it didn't have any visably on it?

Any Ideas?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #2

Re: What causes Nystigmus?

Never heard of it, but will be interested if anyone does know what causes it....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #3

Same here ...... and how kind of you to help the poor cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #4

I knew of a lady who had this condition - her eyes flickered from side to side continuously. She was fit in every other respect and had grown used to her condition, although it was very off-putting to people who did not know her. I did not know that cats could suffer from it. Poor cat - pts was probably the kindest thing. RIP poor boy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
17-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #5

My old Cat has it, the Vet thinks its caused by her blindness. It makes no difference to her at all.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: cross breed
17-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

I have seen this in rabbits but not cats poor pussy but at least it was loved before passing
It was so caring of you to stop and take this sick cat to the vets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

It can be caused by various things- inner ear infection or neurological problems, dogs who have had a stroke can have it, brain tumours can cause it.
Smudge developed it just before she was PTS and the vet thought she had a brain hemorrhage.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
17-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, the cat must have something else wrong then. Its odd that it was right at the roadside but did not appear to have been hit???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #9

I could have just been given a glancing blow, which was enough to cause brain damage.
I was good of you to try and save it though and at least its last hours were comfortable.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
17-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #10

I echo the sentiments, how kind of you to stop and help this poor cat. At least it was comfortable in its final hours. Jan x