Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
16-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Please help, poorly cat

Please can someone give some advice, my 2 and half year old cat has suddenly lost a drastic amount of weight and is not eaten at all since saturday. We have recently moved house so i had put her being quiet down to the stress but kept an eye on her, but when she sat on my knee at the end of last week and i could feel all the bones in her spine i was horrified. She had been eating as normal until last weekend but now refuses all food i put in front of her. I took her to the vets yesterday and he was very blunt and said he suspects Feline Aids. He has also tested for Thyroid problem. I am devastated and i cannot stop crying. I have to wait until thursday for friday for the results, in the mean time i have been trying to feed her with a syringe with some liquid food the vet gave me but all Sami seems to be doing is sleeping. She purrs when i show her her favourite treat but she just cant seem to eat it, the vet checked her mouth and nothing seems to be wrong.
can anyone give any advice or help? im going out of my mind with worry
xx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
16-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Please help, poorly cat

Not sure but i think the vet should have kept your cat in, sounds like she should be getting fluids and or treament for the weight loss as a matter of urgency. Have they given you any meds?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
16-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

She does need to be in the vets like trick said she needs too be on fluids. Has she been tested for liver problems.

Catsey Junior

16-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

No the vet said there was nothing they could do until the test results came back. She is lapping water and some cat milk but thats about it, and as i said im feeding her liquid food through a syringe. The vet said he's tested for thyroid and Feline aids, thats all?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #5

I also agree that the vet should have kept your cat and given her some IV fluids etc. Any particular reason your vet should suspect FIV? Fingers crossed but If I were you I'd get her back to the vet or seek a second opinion.

Catsey Junior

16-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

he said he suspected FIV because she has had such a drastic decline and weight loss?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
16-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

Liver problems can also cause a dramatic weight loss in cats. Cant understand why he hasnt check it out first.

Catsey Junior

16-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

would that be more blood tests? cos if the tests he has taken come back negetive i dont know what to do, she cant survive like this

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
16-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #9

I didn't think that was one of the main symtoms!
I had a huge entire male feral cat with fiv and filv last week it looked in peek condition,
Try phoning a different vet just for advice and explain the not eatting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddKat
he said he suspected FIV because she has had such a drastic decline and weight loss?
That doesnt necessarily mean FIV, it could be any manner of things but none the less serious.
You cannot wait until thursday as this is very serious. Cats metabolism is very different to ours or that of a dog. A cat who stops eating can very quickly develope hepatic lipidosis on top of whatever else might be the cause of the inapetance.
I understand your upset and distress but I cannot stress enough how important it is to get your cat to a vet that will treat her now for the loss of appetite, until you know what you are dealing with.