Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: black and white , and a torty/ta
15-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Pregnant cat!! advice please

hay everyone, i need some help.We have a heavily prenant cat. She has been huge for ages now and as we are not sure when she is due. I was wondering what signs too look out for that she is going to have her babies.She is constantly cleaning herself downstairs and she just cant get comfortable.We have set up a nesting box away from anyone or anything, she is still in the same room as we always are but my children are not alowed.This is our first pregnant cat and could do with some advice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Re: Pregnant cat!! advice please

Hi emmz - I am just copying a link to an earlier Catsey thread here which should give you the information you need.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26065

I hope all goes well. Do you have a vet to contact just in case?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Hello Emmz - I hope you'll find this article helpful regarding the actual birth.

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/kittening.htm

If you are concerned as to when the kittens will be born, I would recommend getting her checked over by the vet who will be able to give you an approximate date due.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
15-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #4

Most of the time, you can tell if she is about to give birth if her water breaks. Thats how we knew. She will look restless & like she can't get comfortable. Birth usually comes pretty soon after her water breaks. Your cat will go to the place shes most comfortable with to give birth. Just make sure to watch her closely

You have to keep an eye on her through during the birthing process. Things can go wrong & you may need to help her. Most likely, birth will go well. But keep your vets phone number close by just in case. She needs to be as calm as possible. One thing I would say to watch is that there is a placenta that comes along with each kitten.

I found some websites for you too:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/normal-...cat/page1.aspx

Good luck!! Hope her delivery is easy & hope the kittens are healthy

Catsey Junior

15-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

thankyou for all your help, the thing is she has been doing all these things oer the last few days and nothing yet. she has a very hard belly, she is not panting.Oh i dont know it will happen when it happens.cant wait

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #6

Do you intend having your cat spayed after she has had the kittens?

Cats can come into heat very quickly after giving birth and they should be kept inside away from the males.

Once the kittens have been weaned (between 6 - 8 weeks) it would be beneficial to have the mother spayed.

Catsey Junior

16-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #7

yes i intend on geting her done after this litter! i think its important. she was booked in for spaying when she became pregnant.asap as far as im concerned.