Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 short hair black rescues!
Wilki31 is Male
01-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Diabetic Cat Causing Concern

Our 10 year old cat, Katie, was diagnosed as diabetic in October and we give her two insulin injections a day which she generally cooperates with quite well and is on m/d prescription food.

She has always drunk a lot of water due to her condition but over the last few weeks she has started to lie next to her water bowl all day, sometimes falling asleep in it(!), and has stopped going outside so much. Another development is she has started to wee in odd places. She used to go outside but when we had the snow we brought out the litter tray which she was happy to use. Recently though she has weed next to the tray, last night it was the mat just inside the front door and this morning she squeezed past me as I got out the shower and decided to go in there!

Anyone any thoughts on what might be going on in her head at the moment? She is splayed etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Re: Diabetic Cat Causing Concern

I can't comment from personal experience of a cat with diabetes but I am sorry to hear about Katie's condition and I would think that the behaviours you mention are related to it. Have you had a word with your vet about her behaviours?

Catsey Junior

Wilki31 is Male
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

Hi Angieh, thanks for your interest.

She's had several trips to the vet and had more blood tests a week last Thursday. I've rung them 5 times now to find out the results and despite promises I've yet to have a call back so I can discuss things further, which isn't good. I thought I'd try picking your collective brains as there's quite a lot of sense talked on here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

Glad you think we talk sense Wilki31!

Bad news that your cat's blood test results are slow to come through ....... without knowing those results it is really hard to comment further. Keep chasing them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

When she wee's, is it a large amount? Does it smell strong?
I'd get back on the phone and tell the vet that since you have paid for the blood tests, it would be nice of them to discuss them with you for the benfit of your dear cat, ask them for a copy of the test results if you can.
Sadly without them it would be dangerous for us to comment or advise on what may actually be going on with you cat.
I'd be pretty damned angry with that vet tbh.

Catsey Junior

Wilki31 is Male
01-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

Hi, yes we're not best pleased to say the least and will be putting our thoughts to them in writing!

She doesn't seem to produce much wee, and it's isn't a strong smell which given how much she drinks isn't suprising, it's almost as if she is marking her ground.

I'll post again when I finally get a reply from the vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

I agree, you need those results; get on to them and explain your concerns. She may need to be seen or have her medication adjusted. That is taking far too long!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #8

Sorry to hear about Katie's problem. I hope you get the results back soon, it's a bit worrying that she's lying next to the water bowl.
As Eileen has said maybe her medication needs adjusting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #9

Does she apear to be struggling to pee in any way or seem in discomfort?
Please call that vet and demand the results asap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #10

As everybody else has said, nobody can really comment without the results. I assume it was a fuctosamine test taken, did the vets also do a general bloods to check kidney function too, it may be worth having it done. I would also try and collect a urine sample and take it if for the vet to check for an infection- they should be able to do this in the surgery with a urine dip stick. These may not show anything but will rule out some other issues that may be occuring.