Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #31

Re: Quite worried about Spice.

I think realistically we may have to make a descision about Spice soon. Her head tilt is no better and her eating is eratic- her mouth is definately sore and the vets don't want to operate- more because they are worried about how she will cope IF she survives the op. The vets agree she doesn't have long to go and we need to start thinking about it. The vets have said we should probably give her antibiotic injections every couple of days to hold off any infection in her gums, keep up with her meds and vit B12 injections, but that is as much as we can do.
Mike and I discussed it today and decided we will take her in next week to be weighed, if she has lost weight we will call it a day- as long as she maintains weight- without deterioration in any other way- we will carry on. This is sensible, isn't it, I don't want to give up on her but I also don't want her to 'starve' to death- it so hard, we don't want to lose her but must do what's best for her!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
17-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #32

You are doing the right for Spice. You are given her a chance how ever long you have her eith you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #33

Oh Farthing. It never rains but it pours. I'm so sorry Spice is deteriorating. I'm sure you and Mike will make the very best decision as far as she is concerned.

It's been a cr@p few weeks . . . I hope things start to improve soon. Hugs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #34

I'm very sorry to hear about Spice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #35

I am sure you and Mike will do what's right for Spice farthing. You know from your huge experience of all your animals how they are feeling and when it's time to say farewell. You have had a very difficult time lately and I do hope things look up very soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #36

Sounds like a sensible way forward. You've had a horrid few weeks (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
17-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #37

What an awful position to be in but you can t see poor Spice suffering. I think what you have decided is best for Spice and if the worst does happen better to see them go gently with dignity than needlessly suffering. I do hope when you go back next week the weight has held up and you have longer with her. As I said on another thread its something most of us have to face and have faced with our pets and its hard. God bless. Jan x

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #38

I am feeling slightly more optimistic about Spice today, she has eaten well since her antibiotic injection a couple of days ago, and she will get another today, as well as a vit B12. I am scared to tempt fate by saying this, but she seems a lot brighter too. I takes quite a while to get it down her- she eats a bit herself, moves away, I place the food bowl beside her and she starts again, loses interest again, I hold the bowl up for her and she eat a bit more. I'm offering her food every 3 hours during the day and for the past 2 mornings she has been sitting on her hammock outside the bathroom waiting for breakfast. She also become more vocal again, which is much more like her. I think I'll take her in next Friday to be weighted and hopefully she will have, at least maintained her weight, I'll be devastated if she hasn't.

I've also been thinking that if her eating drops off again I may ask about putting her onto metacam, I know it is contraindicated for kidney failure but at this stage if her eating drops, I don't think it would be relevant. Much better that she can eat and be comfortable than we worry about her already failing kidneys, I'm pretty sure the meds being pumped into her at the moment are taking their toll anyway.

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am sure you and Mike will do what's right for Spice farthing. You know from your huge experience of all your animals how they are feeling and when it's time to say farewell. You have had a very difficult time lately and I do hope things look up very soon.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that is always the case. I think I often fight so hard I lose sight of what I am fighting for. I do always listen to the vet. Sometimes, when you are so wrapped up and in the centre of it, you need somebody to tell you enough is enough. Its a failing I have and I can't change it.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
20-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #40

farthing... i dont know if its contraindicated for cats with kidney problems... but an injection of cortisone cuts down any inflammation and turns cats into eating machines!
it is contraindicated for post op due to the fact that it inhibits wound healing... but the good thing about it is that the drug itself stays in the system for about 4 weeks but the effects of the drug can last a few months...
like i said... not sure if it would be suitable for spice because of her kidneys... but it certainly wouldn't hurt to flag it with the vet and see what they say...