Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #1

In or Out??

I'd appreciate some advice about YumYum please.

She's a 15 month old Oriental who was kept by a breeder as a possible breeding queen. She was obviously never let out to wander at will and was sometimes kept outside in a spacious pen or would roam about indoors. I've only had her for almost 2 weeks now and she's not really shown much inclination to want to go out. Is it OK to keep cats as house cats? I can see the sense in not letting her out for several reasons ~ she probably won't have any road sense whatsoever, and even though I live in a quiet village with a quiet road at the front, there are still cars that use it; she won't get into fights with other cats; I won't have the heartache if she went missing, and I won't get stressed calling her in if she's out when I want to go out.

I bought her a harness today thinking that I might compromise by taking her for supervised walks, but now I worry that that might just make her want to go out all the more once she gets a taste for the outdoors. I'm saving trying to figure out how to actually put the harness on for tomorrow!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Re: In or Out??

There are several members here who have indoors only cats, so I'll let them answer as Kizzy is a come and go as she pleases girl.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCat
I'd appreciate some advice about YumYum please.

She's a 15 month old Oriental who was kept by a breeder as a possible breeding queen. She was obviously never let out to wander at will and was sometimes kept outside in a spacious pen or would roam about indoors. I've only had her for almost 2 weeks now and she's not really shown much inclination to want to go out. Is it OK to keep cats as house cats? I can see the sense in not letting her out for several reasons ~ she probably won't have any road sense whatsoever, and even though I live in a quiet village with a quiet road at the front, there are still cars that use it; she won't get into fights with other cats; I won't have the heartache if she went missing, and I won't get stressed calling her in if she's out when I want to go out.

I bought her a harness today thinking that I might compromise by taking her for supervised walks, but now I worry that that might just make her want to go out all the more once she gets a taste for the outdoors.
I'm saving trying to figure out how to actually put the harness on for tomorrow!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.
All mine have been indoors only with walks on a harness. I live in the City on a busy heavily trafficed street and a short distance from woods where there are foxes, raccoons and opossums, so free-roaming has always been a no-no. Cats like routine. I found that they looked forward to their daily walks at the same time every day and didn't show any desire to try to escape. I always found the walk a bonding experience as it was fun for both of us. Although you can get some funny looks from people who see you walking down the street with s cat on a harness!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #4

Mine are half and half, they only get out when I am home and can leave the door or window open for them, if I am out they are in....Never ever allowed out during the night...

Catsey Junior

02-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #5

Thanks Moli. That's exactly what I did with Rupert and Sophi, my other cats, but I'm worried about YumYum wandering and getting into trouble or being 'cat-knapped'. 'Tis a dilemma!

Catsey Junior

02-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

Thanks Dandysmom. I'm going to try her on the harness later today as I think I've figured out how it goes on!

As for getting strange looks from people ................. well it will just confirm that I really have lost the plot!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #7

I have 3 persians who are to all intents and purposes indoor cats - I do let them out but they lounge around in our small garden mainly. Occaisionally they will try to make a bid for freedom but as they never go out without being watched I quickly round them up.

My 3 aren't the sharpest tools in the box and have zero road sense - they're also very 'nickable' and living in a bit of an urban area I'm very mindful of that.

If YumYum is happy to remain an indoor cat then that will ease a lot of your worries so I wouldn't push it for her to go outside.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCat
Thanks Moli. That's exactly what I did with Rupert and Sophi, my other cats, but I'm worried about YumYum wandering and getting into trouble or being 'cat-knapped'. 'Tis a dilemma!
I have an oriential and a Siamese and must admit, I do worry about them being catnapped....Luckily we live on the outskirts of a village and do not get many people passing...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #9

My current cat, Leia, is indoors by choice. She's 10, and has always seemed scared of the outdoors since she was a kitten, so unlike the others hasn't been harness trained. She did get out once: pushed the porch door open (she's a big, strong 14 pound cat) in pursuit of a sweet little stray I'd been taking care of; when she realized she was outdoors she panicked and fled under the porch and would not come out; I had to crawl under on my hands and knees and drag her out, growling, kicking and spitting! Got kicked hard and had a lovely big bruise to show for it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
02-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

Both of my cats (and the one I had before) have been indoors only, but that is due to them being FIV positive. They have been previously outside, and are mostly happy to stay indoors all the time (one you have to watch with windows).

I think you have the best solution right now: supervised walks with a harness. However I would make sure she is comfortable with it indoors and walks around your house before attempting to take her outside. Start slowly and then work your way up.