Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
10-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #1

Im scared!

Hi,
I need to tell someone, coz if i don't i think i'm gonna cry like mad!

At the beginning of this year my granddad who is 84 was fit for his age and he'd go shopping n look after my nan who has got a tumor on her pertuity(sp) gland so she can't walk n things coz she looses her balance!

But my grandad has fallen in the streets about 4 times this year one was really bad he broke a rib and arm etc!

Just the other day it was his great granddaughter's 6th birthday and he was laughing away and having fun. Then yesterday my dad said that he wasn't well (old age i think) But he was telling my dad where to put the Xmas decorations! So i though he must of been OK. Then today my dads taking him to a nursing home as i type this! He'll hate it in there he is very independent. N my nan.. she'll be distraught!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #2

Re: Im scared!

Feeling for you Jane.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
10-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #3

So sorry to hear this Jane, thoughts and Hug's with you and your Grandad........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #4

Who's going to look after your grandma now...is she going with him into the nursing home Jane?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #5

So sorry to hear this Jane.....it sounds like your grandad now needs someone to look after him and keep him safe as your nan is unable to do it having to cope with her own illness Old age is often very sad, I went through the same thing with my own parents. It sounds as though he would not be able to give your nan the care that she really......and some nursing homes do accept married couples together if they both need care. I agree nursing homes are not the best place to be but it would make it easier for them both if they were together.....Thinking of you and your family Jane ((((hugs))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #6

This is a very difficult situation and I feel for you. We had to put my own wonderful mum in a nursing home, aged just 63, as she became disabled because of severe brain damage after falling down the stairs. She was the youngest one there. It was heartbreaking. However, it was the only choice as my dad couldn't have looked after her. The care at the nursing home was excellent, the food was good, all home cooked and they made a real effort at Christmas, birthdays, etc. I know it isn't the same as home, but your grandad will be cared for and safe. Will your nan be able to join him? {{hugs}} to you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Mogs/Siamese/Orientals
Tom is Male
11-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #7

Awww Janey {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
11-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #8

Awwww Jane so sorry to hear that. Hopefully he'll receive the care the needs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
11-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #9

Jane I'm so sorry..........been there and have a friend of the family in a nursing home. So sorry dont know what to say but I do feel for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
11-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #10

Jane I am so so sorry to hear about your granddad, there are good nursing homes out there, my mum runs one and she prides herself on making sure the residents get the best care possible.

I hope whatever happens that your granddad is well looked after