Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #11

Re: Does anyone feed a BARF diet to their Cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet
Whats Barf? x

Bones and raw feeding. Raw meat and meaty bones Sweet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
22-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #12

Where do you find good-enough quality chicken?

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Where do you find good-enough quality chicken?
I buy mine from Landywood Pet foods in Staffordshire. It's all specifically prepared for raw feeding animals

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
22-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #14

Ah with you now x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #15

I buy mine from the supermarket. The tesco value range is good, they do lamb & pork chops and chicken wings. I also buy Caleb minced chicken, beef, turkey, pork and lamb and lamb ribs. Caleb had a raw rabbit for dinner this week too! Although I must say that this is a rare treat as I find it very difficult to feed him rabbit. I have heard mixed reports about Landywoods. One of the reasons I haven't ordered from them is that the minimum order is £50? Not sure I would have enough room in the freezer, even though we have a second freezer in the garage, but I would like to give him more variety. I have tried him with raw offal but he doesn't like it, so I occasionally buy kidney, heart & liver and cook it for him. He will eat the AMP blocks of minced meat for brekkie. He looks fab on his BARF diet, his poos are solid and don't smell and his teeth & coat are in great condition. I have no doubts in my mind that this really is the best way to feed a dog, and cats too if they enjoy it!

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I have heard mixed reports about Landywoods. One of the reasons I haven't ordered from them is that the minimum order is £50? Not sure I would have enough room in the freezer
I am very pleased with Landywoods. I have been with them so long now that they often waiver the minimum order for me but I do have a chest freezer just for dog food so can accomodate quite a lot really. I feed mine holistic wholebake too which I get from them. It's a type of wholebake mixer. They deliver every two weeks in my area and always phone me to ask if I need anything The quality is excellent especially their rib bones and I can't recommend them highly enough. Before I used Landywoods I got supplies of things from a local butcher and supermarket. It did work out very much more expensive doing it this way and I didn't get the variety I have now..

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I am very pleased with Landywoods. Because I have been with them so long now they waiver the minimum order often for me but I do have a chest freezer just for dog food so can accomodate quite a lot really. I feed mine holistic wholebake too which I get from them. It's a type of wholebake mixer. They deliver every two weeks in my area and always phone me to ask if I need anything The quality is excellent especially the rib bones and I can't recommend them highly enough. Before I used Landywoods I got supplies of things from a local butcher and supermarket. It did work out very much more expensive doing it this way and I didn't get the variety I have now..
Thanks for that Fran. Shame I haven't got anyone to share an order with!!! I agree that buying from a supermarket or butcher does work out more expensive and yes the variety is limited. I like the way Landywoods do the raw veg with the meat too. Perhaps I should ring them and ask advice....

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Thanks for that Fran. Shame I haven't got anyone to share an order with!!! I agree that buying from a supermarket or butcher does work out more expensive and yes the variety is limited. I like the way Landywoods do the raw veg with the meat too. Perhaps I should ring them and ask advice....
It is a shame you haven't got anyone to share an order with Kim I have a friend who is just 'trying' raw and she gets her supplies on my orders and then I take them over to her. it also means we can share the delivery charge...I do my own veg but always have some of their meat and veg mixes in for back up..

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
It is a shame you haven't got anyone to share an order with Kim I have a friend who is just 'trying' raw and she gets her supplies on my orders and then I take them over to her. it also means we can share the delivery charge...I do my own veg but always have some of their meat and veg mixes for back up..
Good idea Fran. How is your friend or rather her dog getting on with raw feeding? What sort of things does your order contain? What do Landywoods charge for delivery? Sorry so many questions, Ben didn't like raw and Daisy was very fussy over it, so I didn't feed BARF very often, as Caleb loves it I intend to give him BARF for every meal.

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #20

My friend has 2 Llaso Apsos and a Lurcher x greyhound. All is going well except the female Llaso has a bit of a runny tum on the barf The other two are doing really well on it. Delivery is £2 and my regular sort of order would consist of rib bones, chicken wings and chicken backs, one of their meat and veg mixes, I try to alternate the meat each time. So say tripe one time, lamb the next. I also have the holistic wholebake mixer and I buy the Greenark feed supplement which contains Kelp, alfalfa, nettle etc... My order varies according to whether the girls are pregnant or I am weaning pups. I buy coarse ground chicken mince for the latter third of the girls pregnancy but buy fine ground chicken mince to wean the pups on...I tend to still buy my offal and hearts from the supermarket as and when I need it and off course I feed things like tinned sardines, cottage cheese and whole raw eggs. My dogs don't tolerate raw fish it makes them vomit