Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #11

Re: Are you a scraper or a sprayer

I didn't know that Kim I don't like using it because it's an uneccessary (for me) chemical, but the fact that it's toxic is even more reason not to spray!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #12

I use spray. The easiest and by far the most effective way for me. I dont stand around long enough for the toxins to have an effect on me!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #13

You are right Yola. I do have gates great big 6ft+ gates which are padlocked and I only open the gates when I drive out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #14

I have gates too, and a long drive, so can leave the car running....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #15

A liitle story for you! I was called out last week (Sat night 3am) and it was icy so I covered the windscreen with an old towel whilst I parked up outside the hospital. After the birth etc I went outside to find the towel gone, not blown off , just nicked! Some saddo took it, hope his need was greater than mine, but I blessed him a penny whilst I scraped off at 5:30 am !!

Cats owned: moggies
la bing is Male
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #16

Im a heated windsreen man my self, they are awsome! How ever when i get to work i have a coach to defrost

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #17

PP - that's despicable

La Bing (loving the name btw) . . . a coach? Wow, that must take some scraping

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I didn't know that Kim I don't like using it because it's an uneccessary (for me) chemical, but the fact that it's toxic is even more reason not to spray!

I did a google search and this is what is says about anti-freeze Yola. I would rather scrape the car in sub-zero temperatures than risk this happening. (sorry font is so small)

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is the most common winter poison danger, and can be fatal to companion animals, wildlife, and even children. Most commercial antifreeze contains ethylene glycol that has a sweet taste many dogs and cats can smell at a distance and will actively seek out. A tiny amount can be fatal -- less than two ounces is enough to kill a dog, one teaspoon enough to kill a cat, and as little as two tablespoons can be hazardous to a small child. Most companion animals -- and wildlife -- will rapidly drink many times the fatal dose. The first symptom is acting "drunk" -- staggering, vomiting, copious drinking, and urination, often followed by a period of apparent recovery. One to three days later, there will be signs of kidney failure such as not eating, depression, vomiting, dehydration, coma and eventually death. If you are even a little suspicious that your companion animal has consumed antifreeze, see your veterinarian immediately. Early detection can save a life. Treatment must be started within hours to prevent irreversible and fatal kidney damage. Fortunately, antifreeze poisoning is totally preventable. A small amount of diligence and effort can save lives: Dispose of drained antifreeze properly, in an environmentally safe manner. Before dumping it in sewers and septic tanks, make sure it's safe and legal to do so. Don't leave an antifreeze container open, even for a minute. A minute is all it takes for an animal -- or a child -- to drink a lethal dose. If possible, hose down and dilute boil-overs. If it is still green, it is still toxic! Store concentrated antifreeze in tight containers, out of reach of animals and children. Repair leaky car radiators, hoses, and water pumps. Use a non-toxic antifreeze, such as Sierra, which contains propylene glycol. This substance can still cause illness, especially in cats, but is far less dangerous than ethylene glycol.

Cats owned: moggies
la bing is Male
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola

La Bing (loving the name btw) . . . a coach? Wow, that must take some scraping

Its not to bad if the gaffer aint arround. Just fire it up and go back in the brew room He doent like wasteing fuel you see. So if he is arround, im afraid its anti freeze. Horrid stuff i know, but we dont have a choice..

As for the user name, its part of Teds Nickname lol

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #20

I'm a tepid water girl. Not hot enough to crack the windscren but warm enough to melt the ice in a jiffy