Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Back from St Ives!!!!!!!

well, we got back from Cornwall a day early yesterday. What a few days we had.

Drove down to beautiful St Ives on the monday, no problems. Got to our holiday camp which was set in gorgeous woodlands. Lovely spacious chalets, all well. Unpacked and went up to the clubhouse for the entertainmeny, kids had a blast! Got up next morning and made breakfast, just aswe finished the power went out, just one of those things, it came back on 1/2 hour later. So we went to spend the day in St Ives, then drove to Penzance, in between the torrential rain, and hail showers the sun would come out and it was quite nice . So we got back to the chalet about 5 pm, had a quick snack and then went back up to the clubhouse for the evening. That's when the fun started. The kids entertainment went ahead fine, then just as the bingo was about to start the lights went out!! Emergency lighting came on, the bar and cafe closed and it stayed like that for the next 2 hours. The stripeys (bluecoats) tried to entertain the kids, but things were getting tetchy. The place started to get packed as all the chalets were in darkness. They then started to hand out those kids lightsabers and things to give people light to see by When the power finally came on it was only to the clubhouse, the chalets still didn't have any. We eventually braved the pitch blackness outside and went back to the chalet which was like a freezer. Ligting the candles they had also given us, we just got ready for bed. Using all the extra bedding we could get our hands on, plus sleeping in jersseys and socks etc. Woke up so many times in the night absolutely frozen, and when we got up in the morning (still no power) there was condensation on top of the duvet!! So up to the main building again, where they gave everyone a small sausage, 1 piece of bacon and 2 slices of bread plus a cuppa (lets just say that was not going to heat anyone up), they also made Raechel a slice of toast as they had no veggie option. We were then told that the power had gone down completely and was unlikely to be fixed before friday. So we were told that we would get a full refund but would have to leave the site.

So, we packed up and then headed down to lands end for a quick visit, it was lovely to start with, then when we got to LE the wind and rain started again! So cold!!!!! We took Hayley round the Dr WHo exhibit which she loved and then bought something out the gift shop then started to drive back up the way, as my aunt had told us to find a B&B and she would pay for a night there for us as she was getting all her money back for the holiday anyway. Could we find somewhere that would take a credit card payment over the phone? Coule we heck. We eventually ended up in Newquay! Found a pub place with accomodation that let my aunt pay over the phone. It was sooooooo nice to get in the warmth lol. We all had a shower then decided to go out for a nice meal as a deserved treat to ourselves. We stepped out the door and the heavens opened again. Within the few mins of getting from the pub to the restaurant next door we were sodden again. By this point I felt like crying. We had a nice meal then went back to the room, where we discovered there was no tv! So we ended up taking the girls across the road to the amusements (getting wet again) just to amuse them for an hour before bed.

Got up yesterday, had alovely breakfast (made sure we got out moneys worth lol) and then headed home. We decided to stop in Padstow first and got some clotted cream to bring home, and then it took 5 hours to get home. I almost felt like bending down and kissing my driveway LOL!!! I have never seen weather like it, and I certainly wont be going back in October. But the bits I saw between the rain were beautiful!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
31-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #2

Re: Back from St Ives!!!!!!!

oh no. Poor you. What a terrible experience.

One day you will look back & laugh at it though

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Oh dear Alex, what an eventful break you had.. Sorry it was so bad, I did wonder how you were getting on as the news reports were mentioning flooding in Devon and Cornwall. Glad you're back home safely with home comforts again...... and as Smudgley says, one day you will laugh at the experience...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Oh Alex! I'm so glad you can laugh at it now, but I bet there were times when it didn't seem so funny.
I don't know if it's just me, but whenever we've made 'planned trips' (rather than spur of the moment) visits to Devon and Cornwall we've been plagued by rain too. Not just showers, or drizzle, but heavy, cold, unremitting rain. Not nice.
I'd love to go to the Eden Project but am very reluctant to make any plans to do so, because I fear it would just bring the rain again. We can't really go spur of the moment on a good day, even though it's not so very far away, as we'd have to make arrangements for Dinah. Ah well, guess it's not going to run away, and we'll get there sometime.
Nice to have you back. Are you fully wired now, and back on 'full time', as it were?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #5

What a pity Alex! No fun with children esp when you're all cold and wet. All I can say is that according to the weather people it wasn't normal weather! Bet you were glad you weren't in Ottery St Mary.

Glad you are now safe, warm, dry and comfortable back at home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

Oh Alex, that sounds much like my disasterous Devon holiday earlier this year Sorry it was such a catalogue of disasters. Just another one to chalk up to experience I guess.

Did you get any nice, scenic pictures in between the deluges and the power cuts though?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
31-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #7

Ah, Cornwall... it ain't for cissies
Seriously I hope this awful experience hasn't put you off this lovely part of England. British weather can make or break a holiday, and when it starts going wrong it just gets worse! Please go back in the Summer, you won't regret it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
31-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #8

Sorry the holiday was a bit of a wash out for you xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
31-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #9

Oh no Alex, what a horrible expoerience for you.

H

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
31-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #10

What a shame it turned out that way; the weather gods were frowning on you!! Nothing like home, sweet home after that break! Glad you're back safe and sound ......