Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
27-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #1

Cat Dandruff

Jet sometimes gets dandruff on her back, think thats what it is.

Now its getting warmer she seems to be casting a lot of her hair and have noticed little white specks on her coat.

Could she be deficient in something or is this just natural (maybe more noticable as she is black).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
27-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #2

Re: Cat Dandruff

Is her coat greasier or dryer than usual? It might be the change in the weather calls for a change in the production of grease (from the glands in her "scalp" - which for a cat really means every bit of skin ) and that it's not going so well yet and she's having an adjustment period.

My first cat, Fred, often had this - but he was morbidly obese and couldn't groom everywhere, so we kind of took it as read and a lot of it came off with twice-daily brushing. Maybe you can groom her more for a bit until it abates?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
27-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #3

All cats have dander, and I imagine that the flakes would get bigger when protected by a full winter coat. Could that be it? Is it generally when she sheds her winter fur?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
27-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #4

Her coat is fine, not greasy or dry but soft and silky.

Its not all the time, just when she lies on me I have noticed it on her back near her rump, maybe I should groom her more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
27-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #5

That's the spot that seems the most difficult for the cat to clean him/her self. All my oldies would have periods of "dandruff" there, so I think you're right. Can get a bit itchy if left alone (again, judging from past oldies) but a quick brush or hand-grooming sorts it. And yes, black is a good colour for noticing.