Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

20-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #1

pros & cons of female neutering

i would really love some facts on female neutering as, since i lost my cat due to her being poorly...the idea of my kitten going to the vets for an op scares me.
firstly, my siamese won't be an out door cat...so even if she weren't to be spade, she wouldn't be able to mate unless she tries my mum's british blue, freddy....and she's barking up the wrong tree with him
what exactly happens during the operation? and do they still put a 'tube' down their throw to help them breath....as my baby, Mia Meow who recently passed away, had this during her operation and it caused scarr tissue on her throat, developing into a cough which she had her whole life. do they use masks now? or do you have to ask?
also...how likely is it for something to go wrong during Rina's operation?
i am not very hot on the idea of taking her to the vets that my baby died in...but it's just round the corner from my house and i've been told a short journey home would be best for Rina.
Had my cat not of died, i wouldn't be half as concerned, and i suppose when someone who means the world to you is gone, you blame something for it...but even so....would Rina be at risk to have the operation in any way, or would she be in emotional pain to not have the op?
ty for reading!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #2

Re: pros & cons of female neutering

I would say there IS some risk with an operation, be it on an animal or hmna, BUT i would get her pseyed if it were me.
All three of my boys are chopped, and my girl will be done ASAP after she had her kittens ( she was pregnant before we brought her but we didnt know that)

There is always a slim chance of the cat getting out when calling, and speying (i belieive) reduces the risks of unterine cancer.

My advice, get her done, but it si your choice at the end of the day

20-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #3

thankyou for your post! yeah my vet, a long time ago, told me that neutering your female cats can decrease the risk of certain cancers in their uterus and womb. i will most probably have her spade as the last thing i want to do is cause her any harm, emotionaly or physicaly, but i think its like when you lose someone in a hospital. you start to not trust every doctor and every hospital for a while lol x

Catsey Veteran

20-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #4

I know what you mean. December we lost a bunny, two years ago a 4 month old cat. Makes you scared in case it happens all over again

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
20-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #5

as your girl grows she can start having calls from as young as 5 months old. that first call can be quite and only last for a few days but the more calls she has the loader she will get and she will also call for more day. i have head of queens calling every other week with a call lasting 5/7 days then 7 days later there off again calling. its not called calling for nothing cos they do shout and can be heard out side they can also spray while calling (some will spray all the time) there is also a small risk that ever time she calls she might get an infections which will mean she needs to be spayed or she could die. now you might be lucky and have non of this. a cat that calls every 6 months or so and does not spray at all but that is rear

queens that are calling will try anything to get out.

when a girl gets done they take every thing away. its a op that is done a lot so there are every small risks but still risks just like any op

if i was not breeding my cats then i would get them done as soon as my vet would do it cos its easier all around (i think)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
20-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #6

hi Lou can you not take her to a diff vet just to get her spayed? it might make it easier for you if its not the same vet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-03-2006, 09:34 PM   #7

I would recommend speying. I was worried about my baby kitties but in the end it was the only answer I had. It helps with some cancers, it stops them constantly trying to get out and calling. It must make them happier all round.

My kitties spent the morning at the vets (different one to usual as a lot cheaper) and came home as if nothing had happened. Just a bald patch on their sides.

I would get it done, but it is your choice at the end of the day.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
20-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #8

Please, please get your cat spayed - you could try going to a different vet if it would make you feel better. Cats that are spayed before their first heat are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer, they are also at less risk of pyometra (which requires an emergency spay and is more risky), uterine and ovarian cancer. I took on a 14 year old rescue last year, and she hadn't been spayed - I lost her 7 weeks and 6 days later to mammary cancer (and she may have had some kind of mass internally as well, but her health wasn't good enough to withstand exploratory surgery). And cats being in heat nearly constantly isn't a nice thing to deal with - and they will do anything to get out and find a mate (and are generally very succesful, esp if you read about the amount of indoor only cats that get pregnant), which then puts them at risk of other things.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #9

You asked for facts Lou and I'm not sure I've got them. I would think a google search might be one place to look for statistics of mortality rates etc, or a talk with a vet/vet nurse/cat charity that you trust.
However, if you want opinions I'm afraid I can only concur with everyone else here. It's a teeny operation, done when your kitty is young and fit and strong, and she will take no notice of it. A night's sleep when she gets home and she will be good as new. You are protecting her from unwanted pregnancy, likelyhood of accidents/being stolen, should she escape seeking a mate (and they do - they are total trollops! ) and future gynae cancers/infections.

Hope I haven't sounded cold-hearted. The litter-sister to my sbt bitch died under anaesthetic (a complication of a breathing disorder) before I had my Dinah spayed. I was very, very apprehensive but talked it through with the vet who reassured me and did extra tests before her op. It was all over in no time - we dropped her at 8.30 and he phoned me at 9.45 to say she was in the recovery room, awake and breathing well for herself. Maybe you could get your vet to give you an early reassuring phone call?

So, I'd advise getting it done as early as your vet will do it. Sure you won't regret it.........and we'll all be here to talk to whilst she's at the vets!

Catsey Veteran

22-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #10

hi, i totally forgot i have this petvet website saved in my favs.
here the link to info on speying, am sure you knw most of it anyway, but it may offer some reassurance
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_feline_spay.html