Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #1

Schools

Does anyone think they should teach money/budgeting in schools.

Given the fact that lots of people are seemingly finding it difficult to budget I wonder if this would be succesful , but given the rise of adults with "money" issues does it not seem sensible to teach basic money skills in schools?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
26-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #2

Re: Schools

In the school I teach in it's taught as part of the PSHE programme but not in a huge amount of detail. Off the top of my head I think there are 3 lessons devoted to it. I'm not particularly in favour of schools doing things like this to be honest, there is so much demand on curriculum time as it is, but we do our best.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
26-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #3

They do teach 'Business Studies' (or they did when I was at school) but not really budgeting. Yes I think it would be a great idea, certainly given how much debt society is in today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #4

I think it is 'touched' upon at Tom's school in subjects like pse but I am much happier him learning academic studies tbh which will help secure a good future for him, hopefully, so he won't have to worry about debt issues

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #5

I personally think it's the parents who should teach their children how to handle money...

When I used to get pocket money as a child, my Dad used to drill into me ..."Spend a little, save a little!"....... that has always stuck with me and I've told my children exactly the same. They both know that if they can't afford something, they go without until they can...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #6

Ideally it should be taught at home by parents, but if the parents are clueless about it...??? I was a Depression baby and learned frugality, deferred gratification and the importance of saving at my Mom's knee. The schools have a hard enough time fitting more things into the curriculum....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #7

Absolutely Mags n Eileen! It's a parent's job in my opinion. I can understand why parents indulge kids today, kind of compensation for having to work long hours and not spending enough time with them, but ultimately heaping material goods on them endlessly is a dangerous thing to do as the expectation of 'having what I want when I want it' becomes the norm.

Schools have enough of a job trying to keep up with teaching 'school basics' imo . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #8

But the problem is that the parents who don't practice it can't very well teach it! Yet the schools are having a hard enough time just fitting in the basic things; many of them, here, have skimped on what they consider the dispensable things like music and art that are part of a well rounded education IMO ! It's a real dilemma, isn't it?