Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
29-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Cat collars

How long does it usually take for a cat to get used to a collar? Last week Benny got about 5 wee birds, so I decided it was time for a collar. He keeps running around the house, trying to bite it and walking backwards as if he can get it off that way!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
29-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

Re: Cat collars

Sometimes they never get used to them. None of mine would ever countenance a collar - Ferdy was allergic and it made him loose all the fur around his neck. The others just hated them when I tried.

I would suggest sticking with it for 3-5 days depending on how stressed your cat is becoming. If Benny doesn't get used to it then I would say it's a lost cause and advise all local birds to look out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

I've never used them as my cats are indoors only, so can't comment. If it's stressing him that badly I wouldn't use it ......

Catsey Senior

29-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

He isnt really stressed, just a bit confused! Whenever he moves, the bell rings and he stares down at it. I will probably leave it on for a few days n see how it goes. I was thinking about all the baby birdies leaving the nest, they wouldnt stand a chance!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

I hate to say this. Netty, but a skilled hunter can learn to stalk so carefully the bell will not jingle ......

Catsey Senior

29-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

Hubby just said the exact same thing! Might as well give up and remove it. I will just have to watch him if he sneaks up on any, then I can be the warning!! lol